One WW2 Book to Rule Them All

Started by FarAway Sooner, October 04, 2023, 01:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

I don't need a single book (or series) that summarizes all of WW2.  But I'm looking for any book that meaningfully weaves together the way different elements played out together in any theater in WW2.

I'm most interested in theaters where naval, air, and land forces all fought.  Most books focus on a "battle narrative" that emphasizes one particular theater, but I'm looking for something that studies the interaction between the three.  The glue that holds them all together is logistics, which tends to get neglected in most books despite Napoleon's maxim to the contrary.

Eric Bergerud's Fire in the Sky and Touched by Fire do a good job of weaving together the air and land wars in the South Pacific, and the former provides some interesting allusions to the naval battles (primarily in order to demonstrate the supremacy of local air power in dominating sea lanes).

I'd love a book that weaves together this narrative for North Africa.  Almost all the detailed accounts I've found focus on only one aspect of the battle, or they focus only on one side's conduct of the battle. 

I'm not as interested in the Eastern Front, as I just don't have any side to root for there (aside from maybe the Finns?).

al_infierno

I haven't read it, but The Second World War by Antony Beevor is supposed to be quite a good overview.  Beevor is very much a pop historian with a focus on weaving tales out of historical events (not to the extent of being historical fiction, but still).
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I have read a lot of Beevor's books and liked them all.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Not sure if this meets your requirements but if I could only have one book about WW2 this one would be that book.

https://www.amazon.com/2194-Days-War-Illustrated-Illustrations/dp/B00E0JIWYI#:~:text=2194%20Days%20of%20War%20presents,scale%20of%20events%2C%20by%20relating

I have it and read it from cover to cover.  It's filled with entries for every single day of the war as well as mini sections covering particular aspects.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

The Thousand Mile War is an excellent and award-winning account tying together all elements of the Alaskan theater: land, sea, air, logistics. Very thorough yet, due to the limited theater scope, digestable.

I also own a Rabaul trilogy which reportedly does a great job tying land/sea/air together for that location, though I haven't read it yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Hm, everything else I know of tying S/A/L together tends to be operational rather than theater. Even the Rabaul trilogy is operational in scope, though by timeframe seems more like a minor theater.

Will ponder.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: al_infierno on October 04, 2023, 01:43:38 PMI haven't read it, but The Second World War by Antony Beevor is supposed to be quite a good overview.  Beevor is very much a pop historian with a focus on weaving tales out of historical events (not to the extent of being historical fiction, but still).

its... not the easiest book to chew through.  and you do have to do a lot of chewing.
I think its gotten its praise mostly due to when it was released and the writing styles of the time.
Glantz's Kursk book is excellent on facts to the point its almost dry but a good read.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

W8taminute

Sidenote: Having a good WW2 book at your side whilst playing your favorite WW2 video game is Nirvana!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GDS_Starfury

Alan Clark's Barbarossa maybe.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Eisenhower's classic Crusade in Europe is definitely a theater-sized overview of WW2, naturally more focused on the US but he provides preliminary context of what was going on while the US prepared for entry, and how the situation got to the start of Torch operations. Then of course everything after.

Now, for a recent well-regarded tome on theater-level analyses of WW2, Victor Davis Hanson's The Second World Wars (plural) seems like it should be good. It covers all of WW2, but in theater-sized chunks. I've had it wishlisted since release, though haven't gotten around to it yet, so I can't personally recommend it (yet).

bobarossa

You could try checking into The Path to Victory by Douglas Porch.  It's a study of the Mediterranean Theater in WW2.  Been a long time since I read it so not sure I can give a decent description of it at the moment.

Edit: I guess it's telling that I popped the book open at random and ended up reading for 20 minutes.  Nice description of condition of Italian armed forces just before the invasion of Greece.  Mussolini was actually demobilizing at the same time he was planning to invade. Gave his commanders 2 weeks to plan it!

FarAway Sooner

Thanks, all!  I appreciate the recommendations.  I've read The Thousand Mile War, and it did a good job, as you say. 

Of course, the recurring theme was, "Men of great valor fought on both sides, and regularly died due to weather."