Destiny of the World (WW2 Grand Strategy)

Started by Bamilus, August 14, 2021, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamilus

Hello,

I've been following this game for awhile (I'm not the dev - you can find my username on Matrix Games and Reddit to verify) and it just released a week ago. I haven't purchased yet but you can view the manual in the link below. My understanding is it's basically a simultaneous turn based resolution grand strategy WW2 game. So, similar to HOI in a lot of ways since the dev mentioned he really liked Arsenal of Democracy (HoI2 fork) but wasn't happy with the later games, which is the same boat I'm in.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264790/Destiny_of_the_World/

Jarhead0331

Interesting. Thanks for posting. Totally slipped past my radar.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

My first thought was HoI2....but then I saw it is "Simultaneous turn-based gameplay"  Now we're talking....!   :bd:

solops

Looks like everything I want. These great designs always seem to fail around the AS (artificial stupid), particularly around naval invasions. I shall hold my breath and hope.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Bamilus

Quote from: solops on August 14, 2021, 06:14:54 PM
Looks like everything I want. These great designs always seem to fail around the AS (artificial stupid), particularly around naval invasions. I shall hold my breath and hope.

Well said. That's my one gripe with the HOI series. I'll probably end up getting this game so I can let you guys know.

acctingman

Oh...wow! I'll be watching this one too. Turn based!? giggity!!

ArizonaTank

I am guardedly keeping my eye on this one as well....

Some other turn-based WWII grand strategy games started out with great ideas...but just didn't seem to make it in terms of gameplay for me.

Wastelands Interactive's "Time of Wrath" and Muzzy Lane's "Making History" come to mind as turn based games that just didn't quite connect with me...

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Seems like this was released back in August, still not sure I am sold yet, but interesting.  $19.99 isn't a huge risk to take.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264790/Destiny_of_the_World/

W8taminute

I wishlisted this game a few weeks ago.  Keeping my eye on it.  Looks promising.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

Only video about the game I found and it is a year old ...

joram

Zilla Blitz did a video a few days ago.  Does actually look interesting.
https://youtu.be/obU6CtyPYVE

Rayfer

Quote from: joram on September 24, 2022, 09:22:33 AM
Zilla Blitz did a video a few days ago.  Does actually look interesting.
https://youtu.be/obU6CtyPYVE

This is an excellent 30 minute overview of the game.  Simultaneous, turn based game with each turn one week. 

solops

So has anyone tried it out? It has some good reviews and purports to be a decent grand strategy game, not overly complex and gets rid of some of the irritating features of HOI and Strategic Command.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

I did it again, I went ahead and got it with no advice. It looks interesting.
Simultaneous turns ( a big plus!)
Lots of pre-game options like, no Barbarossa, no Winter War, no Soviet officer purge, early Soviet attack, no Pearl Harbor, Spanish and Turkish options and lots of others.
For $18 how could I not get it?

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on November 24, 2022, 12:43:51 AM
I did it again, I went ahead and got it with no advice. It looks interesting.
Simultaneous turns ( a big plus!)
Lots of pre-game options like, no Barbarossa, no Winter War, no Soviet officer purge, early Soviet attack, no Pearl Harbor, Spanish and Turkish options and lots of others.
For $18 how could I not get it?

I'm teetering on the very edge of getting this game.  Let me know what you think if you play it anytime soon. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk