Computer Gaming - Your Favorites

Started by ArizonaTank, August 26, 2021, 03:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

Lordy.  My list would never be as in-depth as you guys - my gaming ADD makes me go "whooo," all over the place.

Having said that, per Steam, my top 4 are:
War Thunder
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2
Counter Strike: Nexon Zombies (played moreso on an old laptop 'cause that's all it'd really push and it's goofy fun)

The Division 1 has taken a whole lot of my time, for sure.

World of Tanks and World of Warships rotates on and off on my computer for years and years now.

Starfleet Command - got Orion Pirates on my laptop as we speak.

Campaign Series - again, on my laptop as we speak.

Wburn

I think these are my top ten that I always go back to!
Harpoon 1 and 3
CMO
Battlefront Series
Shock Force 2
Cold War and Black Sea
Strategy:
World War 1 Centennial Edition
Strategic Command WW1
Strategic Command WW2
There are lots of others but for those moments where I don't want to think
there are,
War Thunder
World of Warships.

twitter3

Mine are old school but I still play them to this day...

In no particular order

Campaign Series
Rise of Prussia
Birth of America WIA
TOAW3
Forge of Freedom
Crown of Glory EE
Witcher 1
Close Combat
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale
World War One Gold

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 31, 2021, 09:46:51 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 31, 2021, 09:41:45 AM
I will not dare search Steam or the interwebs to see if Shower With Your Dad is real...but I think it might be.

It is.

...and we have a thread on it. Posted 6 years ago TO THE DAY! How creepy is that?

http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=14698.msg382173#msg382173  :timeout:

Quote from: Gusington on August 31, 2021, 09:48:37 AM
Jesus H.

There has to be some prophetic meaning to that somewhere but we won't get into that here.   ;D
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: twitter3 on August 31, 2021, 11:53:25 AM
Mine are old school but I still play them to this day...

In no particular order

Campaign Series
Rise of Prussia

I can back those as being great games!

al_infierno

A rough order of my all-time favorites that always seem to work their way back into my gaming rotation.  RDR is technically a console exclusive, but my all-time gaming list is incomplete without it, and I wouldn't put RDR2 on the list.

• X-Com: UFO Defense (or UFO: Enemy Unknown if you want those sweet hipster points)
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Insurgency
  • Tales of Maj'Eyal
  • Dominions 5
  • Half-Life
  • Diablo II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hitman: Blood Money
  • Mount and Blade: Warband
  • Dark Souls
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2000)
  • Shadow Empire
  • WarPlan
  • SWAT 4
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Space Beast Terror Fright
  • NetHack
  • FarCry 2
  • Hotline Miami

Some honorable mentions for historical favorites that I don't really enjoy playing anymore:

• Medieval 2: Total War
  • Company of Heroes
  • Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne
  • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
  • Killzone
  • Civilization V
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Mass Effect
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Squad Battles

EDIT - Hell, I don't know how I forgot about Dom 5...  Looks like Alien: Isolation fell off the bottom :(
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 31, 2021, 09:21:55 AM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on August 30, 2021, 06:56:14 PM

I played wargames mostly as boardgames
- ASL
- Richard Berg: Civil War, ancient battles
- The Gamers various series

Great games.  Have you tried playing these on Vassal?

I tried to convince my former wargame buddy to play these games with software helpers, after I moved city because of family matters, but he wasn't into that. We used to play one evening per week, after a common dinner, alternating houses, always enjoying some fine brandy or whiskey, and all those things don't translate well into PBEM.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on September 01, 2021, 08:12:33 AM
I tried to convince my former wargame buddy to play these games with software helpers, after I moved city because of family matters, but he wasn't into that. We used to play one evening per week, after a common dinner, alternating houses, always enjoying some fine brandy or whiskey, and all those things don't translate well into PBEM.

I know what you mean. I moved away from the Northern Virginia area about five years ago. That area of the country has very active gaming communities. I moved to an area of Northern California, about 3000 miles and 3 time zones distant.

My old Northern VA gaming buddies tried PBEM on Vassal but didn't really like it. But then we started doing live games over Vassal using Skype or Discord for voice / video. That has worked well, and I usually play with those guys a couple of times every month, even after all these years.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ian C

There's a lot of nostalgia in these choices, but they all are great games in my opinion and have given me the most fun, thrills and immersion.

On Playstation 1.

Medal Of Honour
Medal Of Honour: Underground
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Parasite Eve 2
Tenchu 2
Driver

On PC

Fable - The Lost Chapters / Anniversary
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Witcher 3 + all dlc
Medal Of Honour
Hearts Of Iron
Dishonoured
Life Is Strange
What Remains of Edith Finch
XCOM: Enemy Within /XCOM 2 / War of The Chosen
L.A. Noire
The Sims
Freedom Force
Cities Skylines

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 06, 2021, 09:49:17 AM
Dishonored is a really great series.

Been debating whether to pick the upcoming deathloop game from the studio who made Dishonored.comes out on the 14th.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252330/DEATHLOOP/

Gusington

I loved the Dishonored series too. Not as much as I loved the Thief series but close. Also eyeing Deathloop. At first glance it does not look like something I would be into but you never know. Hard for me not to like most of Arcane's games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

88mmkwk

It is such a good game! Coming out of cloak as a Bird of Prey and attacking is so cool.

Birth of the Federation was mentioned above, I've never played it, but I'd really like to get my hands on a copy.  I think I'd love it.

I also miss the Star Trek Armada games.

Looks like Birth of the Federation is alive and well in a 2.0 "All In One" installer with mods and updates that make it compatible with newer hardware.  I haven't yet tried it, but it also appears to be DRM free now?

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3509
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Anguille

Quote from: 88mmkwk on September 07, 2021, 06:12:09 PM
It is such a good game! Coming out of cloak as a Bird of Prey and attacking is so cool.

Birth of the Federation was mentioned above, I've never played it, but I'd really like to get my hands on a copy.  I think I'd love it.

I also miss the Star Trek Armada games.

Looks like Birth of the Federation is alive and well in a 2.0 "All In One" installer with mods and updates that make it compatible with newer hardware.  I haven't yet tried it, but it also appears to be DRM free now?

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3509
This version has been drm free for many years.