The Troop - WWII Turn based Tactical Game

Started by Zulu1966, October 15, 2021, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

Hadnt heard of the below before - there is a demo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363740/The_Troop/
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

SirAndrewD

Looks promising. 

I'll try the demo tomorrow.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

TheFjordFox

That looks quite interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
I'm just another random.

W8taminute

I saw a YouTube video of this last week.  This game does look interesting.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

I'll be following it. Fingers crossed.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Zulu1966 on October 15, 2021, 04:51:34 PM
Hadnt heard of the below before - there is a demo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363740/The_Troop/

Thanks for the tip. i played half the demo and it was quite good.

demjansk1942

It looks like something I might like besides panzer Corp.

ArizonaTank

There will never be too many WWII tactical games....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

Tried the demo.
Sounds are amazing as are the action sequences during firing and hitting or missing. But we don't have other effects like track movment and the hex style janks and turns are really evident in the pathing. Still the game is fun and has some really nice atmosphere. Wish it was WEGO and wish Combat Mission had these modern sounds and effects.

I still need to test the infantry. They look fine but remind me of combat mission style "everybody take a knee" kinda immersion. Stick to a hex and don't spread out.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

ArizonaTank

I played three of the missions this morning... pretty good stuff... I have a few issues with it... the biggest one being that this is one of those fight to the death games. Pretty much every unit keeps fighting until the last man is dead. Also, sometimes cover does not seem to be very effective. So the infantry fights were about 80% casualties, and my guys kept on going. In one scenario, I had my last guy fighting the last German, trading shots until the German got lucky. But the Game does warn you it is a game and not a simulation...

Still, I had more fun with it than I have with Lock 'n Load or even one of Tiller's squad games.

I just hope they put the rest of the package together well. Scenario and map builder would cap it for me...but I suspect we won't see them. Dynamic campaign ala Close Combat series would be wonderful as well.

Anyway, looking forward to this one. Hopefully they price it reasonably.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 17, 2021, 11:14:41 AM
I played three of the missions this morning... pretty good stuff... I have a few issues with it... the biggest one being that this is one of those fight to the death games. Pretty much every unit keeps fighting until the last man is dead. Also, sometimes cover does not seem to be very effective. So the infantry fights were about 80% casualties, and my guys kept on going. In one scenario, I had my last guy fighting the last German, trading shots until the German got lucky. But the Game does warn you it is a game and not a simulation...

Still, I had more fun with it than I have with Lock 'n Load or even one of Tiller's squad games.

I just hope they put the rest of the package together well. Scenario and map builder would cap it for me...but I suspect we won't see them. Dynamic campaign ala Close Combat series would be wonderful as well.

It is built in Unity, but they seem to have bought the high-end license so the price is likely to be the usual 30 bucks for the base game plus 10 per DLC.  A midrange game in terms of cost I would guess. 

I really like the flow and atmosphere.  Not immersive (which is a nice break after Enlisted, where something has to be done every eleven seconds with bodies falling and bombs
going off all the time), but you feel
like every move makes some difference.

glen55

Maybe we can hope they put a morale system in later.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

MengJiao

Quote from: glen55 on October 18, 2021, 12:01:52 PM

Maybe we can hope they put a morale system in later.

There is a kind of morale system.  Fire teams and tank crews can be suppressed or stunned.  The AI side will bail or retreat when things look bad as can you.  Bailing reduces the morale impact of a knocked out tank.  Nice touch really.  Plus there's an overall morale level.  If too many teams or vehicles get eliminated...game over, you retreat.  Same for the AI.  There's also the aiming chances, even without suppression, if you're turning to get on target, your hit chances go down.  sort of a morale effect of sorts.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd like to see opportunity fire added in.  I'd also like a bit more feedback regarding cover and concealment for each hex.  As others have mentioned, it doesn't always seem like your squads are getting the cover you'd expect in some hexes.

Anybody else getting their ass handed to them in the "here they come!" scenario?  My M10s get brewed up every single time, no matter how far back I place them. 

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 18, 2021, 04:19:07 PM
I'd like to see opportunity fire added in.  I'd also like a bit more feedback regarding cover and concealment for each hex.  As others have mentioned, it doesn't always seem like your squads are getting the cover you'd expect in some hexes.

Anybody else getting their ass handed to them in the "here they come!" scenario?  My M10s get brewed up every single time, no matter how far back I place them.

I think it is a fun game, but definitely needs a few more things to make the game really special.

The interplay of units and enemy reminds me of XCOM2...however as SDR says, "The Troop" is missing an over-watch / opportunity fire command, that is essential in XCOM2.

Agree, the "Here they come" scenario is pretty one-sided the way it works now. The Germans rarely miss, even when the Brits are in what seems to be concealment.

The Brits however seem to be able to hit only about 1/3 of the time, even under good firing conditions. One of the biggest handicaps of the scenario is the limited number of locations the Brits can deploy their tanks to. Maybe if the scenario let you set up anywhere on the Brit side of the board, the Brits might get better results.

In addition to an over-watch command, a shoot and scoot command would do wonders as well.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"