Book on killing UBL in the works

Started by LongBlade, August 23, 2012, 08:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Not on Amazon as of this posting, but I'm looking forward to it.

QuoteA book company said Wednesday that it will release on September 11 a firsthand account of the raid that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Christine Ball, director of marketing and publicity for Dutton, a subsidiary of Penguin Group USA, said the book was written by a Navy SEAL under a pen name.

The book is entitled "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/22/us/navy-seal-book-bin-laden/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

0kult13

Publishing some actual evidence of a dead Osama would be better, still bet it makes for a good hollywood movie with plenty in theater chanting.

0kult13

Looks like the seal guy might get sued by the pentegon for revealing military secrets, but is that not like aiding the enemy like what bradly did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19432601

"The Pentagon says it may sue a former US special forces member who has written a first-hand account of the May 2011 raid that killed Osama Bin Laden.

The Department of Defense's top lawyer has informed the former Navy Seal that he has violated agreements not to divulge military secrets.

He signed two non-disclosure forms with the Navy in 2007, the Pentagon said"

LongBlade

I saw that.

I wonder if the defense will try to integrate the leaks out of the White House as part of its strategy. Could be interesting.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on August 31, 2012, 07:25:41 AM
I saw that.

I wonder if the defense will try to integrate the leaks out of the White House as part of its strategy. Could be interesting.

How could/would they do that? Civilian leaks exempt him from his military NDAs?

I'm also curious why he and his publisher didn't have the book vetted by the DoD ahead of time. Isn't that standard practice in these situations?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on August 31, 2012, 09:46:03 AM
I saw that.

I'm also curious why he and his publisher didn't have the book vetted by the DoD ahead of time. Isn't that standard practice in these situations?

I'm no legal scholar. I'm speculating that information already leaked into the public domain isn't exactly "secret" any more. My interest is in comparing what is in the book versus what has been leaked. If the author was smart, there will be a nearly perfect match.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on August 31, 2012, 09:54:32 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 31, 2012, 09:46:03 AM
I saw that.

I'm no legal scholar. I'm speculating that information already leaked into the public domain isn't exactly "secret" any more. My interest is in comparing what is in the book versus what has been leaked. If the author was smart, there will be a nearly perfect match.

I see what you're saying. Guess it depends on the language in the NDA. If the information is still technically classified then he's probably in trouble. Some of the other guys here probably know better about it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

The author can't be stupid. He has to know he's got some kind of NDA and he almost certainly discussed the restrictions with an attorney.

I'm no expert, but this seems like very basic stuff - the publisher, too, almost certainly had a legal team look over the entire arrangement.

That's what strikes me as so odd - no one in their right mind is going to go through the expense and effort to write and publish this if it's blatantly running headlong into an NDA roadblock. It just doesn't make sense.

That's why I think the White House leaks are key - we all know that there was a ton of info that shouldn't have been leaked. My gut tells me it is within this pool of public knowledge that the book has to have been written. It makes no sense in any other context.

mirth

Meh, people do dumb things all the time. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, either way.

Bison

I started reading it last night.  Pretty damn good book so far.  Highly recommend.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on September 14, 2012, 10:45:01 AM
I started reading it last night.  Pretty damn good book so far.  Highly recommend.

Finished it yesterday. Compiling thoughts for a front page review.

Great read.

LongBlade