Eniwetok Atoll, South of Deep Channel, midday, August 22, 1914

Started by MengJiao, January 29, 2022, 09:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Von Spee met his colliers, armed merchant cruisers, eight supply ships and a liner at Eniwetok on August 19.  He had his two armored cruisers and a light cruiser as his main battle force.  Emden had already set off to raid to the southwest and the Straits of Malacca.  On the morning of the 22nd he set off to find more coal in French possessions in the Pacific.  Since the Allies had four armored cruisers of their China and Indochina squadrons in the area, they might well have intercepted him there.  And the battle might have been two well-gunned German armored cruisers and some lighter ships against 4 less-heavily-gunned and slightly slower allied armored cruisers of the Devonshire and Dupleix classes:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 29, 2022, 09:58:30 AM

Von Spee met his colliers, armed merchant cruisers, eight supply ships and a liner at Eniwetok on August 19.  He had his two armored cruisers and a light cruiser as his main battle force.  Emden had already set off to raid to the southwest and the Straits of Malacca.  On the morning of the 22nd he set off to find more coal in French possessios in the Pacific.  Since the Allies had four armored cruisers of their China and Indochina squadrons in the area, they might well have intercepted him there.  And the battle might have been two well-gunned German armored cruisers and some lighter ships against 4 less-heavily-gunned and slightly slower allied armored cruisers of the Devonshire and Dupleix classes:

18 minutes in, Gneisensu slows down to put out fires.  Raking shots from the 6-inch battery on Kent caused some minor fires. 2 out of 4 fires are still burning, but maybe even those will be doused soon though range (over 5000 yds) is now just outside where the 6-inchers will penetrate anything on the German armored cruisers:

Silent Disapproval Robot

Is this a homebrew setup?  It looks like you've got counters from 2nd World War at Sea for some ships and a game I don't recognize for others.

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 30, 2022, 02:28:30 AM
Is this a homebrew setup?  It looks like you've got counters from 2nd World War at Sea for some ships and a game I don't recognize for others.

Extremely homebrew.  Based on a miniatures game Stations Manned and Ready and using counters for The Great War at Sea and Fear God and Dread Nought and a
map from Flying Colors.  As far as I can tell, it gives a fair approximation of possible quasi-historical results mostly due to the
comprehensive ship sheets and rules from Stations Manned and Ready .  For the scenario (not very plausible, but possible) I dug into some moderately obscure sources such as
period newspapers online to find ships in the China Squadron in August 1914
  and some nice new sources like https://books.google.com/books/about/French_Armoured_Cruisers.html?id=RW9YEAAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description.
The team for  Stations Manned and Ready did research at the Imperial War Museum...so the technical sources are pretty good as far as I can tell.

And the battle was a bit anticlimatic: Cornwall almost blew up and pulled out of line. Scharnhorst developed some persistent fires after Gneisenau
put out her own set of fires.  The German ships were
heading downhill though -- some guns
knocked out, fires growing on Scharnhorst, and steering and flotation approaching problematic levels.  Still, they had a 2-knot advantage so I assume they
escaped and ordered their supply ships to scatter