Terminator: Dark Fate - Defiance

Started by Boggit, May 24, 2023, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

I've just had this press release from Slitherine.

Slitherine are due to release this interesting looking take about the human resistance to the Terminator machines takeover of the world. It's a RTS game.

"Slitherine just announced a new game Terminator: Dark Fate - Defiance
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1839950/Terminator_Dark_Fate__Defiance/ 

Live Gameplay Reveal. Join them next week, on Tuesday May 30th, at 5 PM BST on Slitherine Twitch Channel!"
https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinetv

More here: https://www.slitherine.com/news/terminator-dark-fate-defiance-live-gameplay-reveal-announced

If I hear more I'll let you know.

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

FarAway Sooner

I've often wondered how to model low-intensity conflict well in a wargaming setting. 

The most common approach seems to be X-COM style games featuring tactical missions where there is a "You are the resistance" storyline and strategic layer but little actual emphasis on tactics.  I'm familiar with a couple titles out there but none that I've played.

The original AI Wars had an interesting take, where the remnants of humanity are left on isolated planets, like rats living between the walls of an AI-dominated house, where you have to carefully choose the rewards of specific decisions (blow up an AI base, activate an Ancient Secret Weapon that one of your ships discovered, etc.) versus the penalty of increasing AI readiness. 

It featured great atmospheric feel, because you could usually see enough AI forces clustered in nearby systems to know that, if they ever got mobilized and decided to come after you in full force, you were totally dead meat.  This gave more depth to the strategic layer of the game, while still leaving the tactical depth of the individual battles fully intact.

The first time I ran across this dynamic was in a board game, SPI's ambitious "Freedom In the Galaxy", released in 1979, where the vastly superior Imperial Forces largely had their hands tied due to "Imperial Readiness Level" penalties. 

One could raise the Readiness level of various planets and systems through Imperial missions (often Diplomacy-related), detecting Rebel characters on planets doing missions, planetary rebellions in nearby systems, etc.  One could let it subside by leaving planets alone for a long time. 

It was the first effort I'm aware of to portray asymmetrical warfare in a wargame.  The fact that two of the main Rebel characters were named "Adam Starlight" and "Zina Adora" and their portraits looked a lot like Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia made the game seem derivative, but the gaming mechanics were quite groundbreaking.

I've wondered why more games don't try to introduce some sort of a "How into this effort are your people and institutions?" dynamic.  Even when it's done, it seems pretty heavy-handed and simplistic.

SirAndrewD

Meh, the Dark Fate universe doesn't really get me going. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Okay, I may have to search TTS to see if Freedom in the Galaxy / Star Rebellions has been ported by some fan...!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Like a lot of those SPI games, it would probably be a hugely complicated, unwieldy mess to folks used to modern games (PC or board).  But I remember marveling at the game system when I first read it.  I only ever played it solitaire.  Between me and my friends, none of us ever wanted to play The Empire.

Destraex

Still single player only?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Demo is finally out on steam. PVP and single player missions... but only single player skirmish and campaign in demo.
Pretty impressed so far apart from the performance.. which seems laggy.
Great unit selection and great atmosphere so far.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 12, 2023, 03:24:15 AMDemo is finally out on steam. PVP and single player missions... but only single player skirmish and campaign in demo.

I've enjoyed the campaign missions, but I do feel that they are too scripted and linear. Hopefully, later missions open up and present the player with a few more options to achieve objectives.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 12, 2023, 03:48:16 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 12, 2023, 03:24:15 AMDemo is finally out on steam. PVP and single player missions... but only single player skirmish and campaign in demo.

I've enjoyed the campaign missions, but I do feel that they are too scripted and linear. Hopefully, later missions open up and present the player with a few more options to achieve objectives.

Alternately, in the next scenario to be released, they could discover a time machine, but only after the AI had sent some units back to an earlier scenario, and then the Resistance would have to send units back, and you'd pick up right on Turn 3 of your second scenario.

THEN, after winning the campaign, you'd realize that there were alternate timelines, sending in their own units to try and thwart the Resistance, and you'd have to go back to Turn 4 of your third scenario (the second time around) to try to...

Sorry.  I got off track there.

W8taminute

I watched a "Let's play" video covering the demo.  There did not seem to be any resource management or production aspects to the game. 

Is it possible to play as the terminators in a campaign game?
Is the full version nothing but a collection of missions that are called a campaign?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sigwolf

I have to say, I find the current trend of "time limited" demos to be infuriating and very off-putting.  What is the benefit to the publisher? 

"Want to see what the game is like?  Oh, sorry, the demo only worked last week."

The game doesn't even have a release date yet, but in the meantime no one can even play the demo while they wait.

I did have fun with it this weekend, but like Jarhead mentioned, I also thought it was too scripted.  The atmosphere and sounds were great... the dialog and voice-acting, not so much.

I'll probably hold off on purchasing until at least a 50% off sale.

W8taminute

I have to agree with you Sigwolf that time limited demos are very off putting.  They are designed to get you all hyped up.  Then when the demo expires you're left with wanting more but since the demo is gone the next best thing is to pre-order.  And so people fall for it. 

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of these marketers that study human emotion and abuse the knowledge they gain in order to exploit human emotion.  This is what the world has come to.  Let's think up of some crafty ways to extract every last penny from the sheeple. 

Sorry if I sound like am ranting, I'm not I assure you.  But I am calling out this dastardly behavior when I see it. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Unfortunately, this has been delayed from an expected release of this December 7 to February 21st, 2024.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18