Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis > Modelling and Miniatures

Lord Help Me... I'm going to paint minis!

(1/17) > >>

son_of_montfort:
You read that right, I've bought myself several brushes, have a nice table, white primered some minis (from a game I don't play often, so I can practice) and I'm going to embark on mini painting sometime this week (or weekend).

I'm going to use some cheaper craft acrylics for my first run, since this is largely a getting-started type thing. I've read up on diluting the paints and applying several basecoats. I'm a little intimidated by the idea of diluting my own wash, any advice?

I may switch to water-based enamels when I get better. Enamel paints (I remember them from my modeling days at 4-H) are a real PITA.

The painting sounds therapeutic, and I really feel the need to do something creative - not just gaming. Something where I have an end product for my time.

Any advice or support would be welcome!

LongBlade:
The water based enamels aren't that bad, but do what you think is best to start with.

My advice is rather than buying minis you want to practice on, buy some minis you'd like to own. Nothing sucks worse than feeling like you must paint something just to get it into your army even though you don't like it. I don't mean go out and buy some $500 Forgeworld model, but at least try to find something that interests you. If you have something military in mind, I can assure you that no matter how obscure, there's probably a historical minis gamer who's made a model for it. If nothing else, buy an extra pack of zombies from the Zombies board game. At least you know you like zombies :)

As for a wash, it really isn't bad. Normally folks use a dark wash - deep browns seem to be best. They're usually heavily diluted. I'm thinking 80 - 90% diluted.

Because I use water based paints, I dilute with Windex, but that's another story for when you're ready to go water-based.

Pop in questions as they come. I'm not a guru, but I feel comfortable talking about general stuff.

TheCommandTent:
Welcome to the dark side Dr.!   ;D

You failed to inform us of the most important part.  What minis will you be painting?

I am by no means a great minis painter, as my blog can attest, so take my advice as you will.  One big thing I've learned is that lots of people do things different ways and it is all about finding a way of doing something that get the results that you want and think look good on your gaming table.

Depending on what kind of wash you want to give your figure there are some great ready made washes so you don't even have to worry about mixing your own.  Definitely use water based paints.  Your brush will be so much easier to clean up and some mistakes can been quickly fixed with a wet cloth before they dry.

Have you ever painted minis before or just model vehicles?  That could help narrow down the advice we could give.

Either way good luck and I hope you take lots of pictures for us.

Jack Nastyface:
SoM,
I'm planning on doing a bit of mini painting myself.  I've done a bunch of research and have found a bunch of on-line resources. If you want, I can post them here or PM-you directly.

Yours in painting,

Jack Nastyface

LongBlade:

--- Quote from: Jack Nastyface on September 11, 2012, 10:53:00 PM ---SoM,
I'm planning on doing a bit of mini painting myself.  I've done a bunch of research and have found a bunch of on-line resources. If you want, I can post them here or PM-you directly.

Yours in painting,

Jack Nastyface

--- End quote ---

I would encourage you to post them here - we're all about the gaming hobby in general and I suspect even guys like me and Tent can still learn plenty of tricks :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version