Book Bucket list

Started by MetalDog, January 08, 2013, 11:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MetalDog on January 09, 2013, 09:11:42 PM
I haven't read War And Peace, but I did read the first eight Wheel Of Time books.  That's a hundred and forty seven years I will never get back.

I got through the first two of the Wheel of Time Series.  The first was very slow and dragged on but the second was much better.  I am still not sure if I want to continue the series or not.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Longdan

I started reading those Wheel of Time epics of wordcount and after getting
a few books in just completely ran out of sh*ts to give about the characters
or the story.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Arctic Blast

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 09, 2013, 10:45:31 PM
I haven't read War And Peace, but I did read the first eight Wheel Of Time books.  That's a hundred and forty seven years I will never get back.

I got through the first two of the Wheel of Time Series.  The first was very slow and dragged on but the second was much better.  I am still not sure if I want to continue the series or not.

I got through 5 and then completely lost interest when it became clear that anyone deemed a major character was never actually going to be in any real peril of dying. Kinda killed any drama he was trying to create.

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on January 09, 2013, 07:33:54 PM
Quote from: Martok on January 09, 2013, 07:14:38 AM
No offense 'phro, but I have absolutely no desire to service you guys...

And we have no desire to be serviced by you.  No offense ;-)
None taken.  :P 

Wuss!  You quit just when it was getting good!  ;D   

Seriously, though, I don't blame you.  The 7th-10th books are where the series really slows down, where most folks say "screw it" and give up...and the 8th and 9th books (Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart) are especially bad in this regard. 

I'm personally glad I pushed through them so I could get to Knife of Dreams (book 11), as things finally pick up again (and in a major way) -- it's like Jordan knew he didn't have that much longer to live, and so did his level best to start wrapping up a bunch of the sub-plots -- but I definitely can't fault anyone who's unable to do so. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

I've attempted to read Moby Dick like 10 times now in my life.  All I can say is there is no &*^%&**&^ way it's the great American novel.  No *&^$^&&** way.  If it was so *&^%&^&*^ I'd have finished it one of the ten times I tried to read it.  Melville sucks.  It's on my bucket list.

Martok

Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2013, 03:02:44 PM
I've attempted to read Moby Dick like 10 times now in my life.  All I can say is there is no &*^%&**&^ way it's the great American novel.  No *&^$^&&** way.  If it was so *&^%&^&*^ I'd have finished it one of the ten times I tried to read it.  Melville sucks.  It's on my bucket list.
I have to confess I cannot stand any of the "great" American authors from the first half of the 19th century.  Melville, Hawthorne, Cooper, and co. all suck as far as I'm concerned -- no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot get into any of their books. 

The one exception from that period is Poe.  That man knows how to write a good story! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

Quote from: Martok on January 10, 2013, 03:19:50 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 10, 2013, 03:02:44 PM
I have to confess I cannot stand any of the "great" American authors from the first half of the 19th century.  Melville, Hawthorne, Cooper, and co. all suck as far as I'm concerned -- no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot get into any of their books. 

The one exception from that period is Poe.  That man knows how to write a good story!

Never cared for Melville.  Didn't have to read Cooper.  Liked Hawthorne.  Poe, however, Poe is a GENIUS!  My favorite story is, "The Cask Of Amontillado".  If you've not read it, you should find it and do so.  NOW!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^I love Poe too. Also, I read Ivanhoe as punishment when I was ~15 and liked it pretty good although I don't remember any of it. Not bad for a 200 year old book.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I actually have Ivanhoe on my Kindle ready to be read.  Someday.  Again.

Gusington

Let me know how it is. Maybe I'll remember why I liked it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Well I read it like 20 years ago or more and I don't remember it at all.  Remind me never to talk about how long ago I've read or done something from my youth.  It's depressing.

Gusington

Didn't you read my original post? I read it while punished at 15! Now that's depressing. And all I remember is that I enjoyed it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Yeah but you didn't tabulate the years.  See if you would have said I read it 23 years ago that confirms your getting older, but just saying I read it when I was 15 is sort of nebulous in terms of the past.

MetalDog

That's almost as bad as when you start to notice the gray hairs your family has been telling you have for years that you have been studiously ignoring and you no longer can.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Barthheart

Quote from: MetalDog on January 10, 2013, 10:57:05 PM
That's almost as bad as when you start to notice the gray hairs your family has been telling you have for years that you have been studiously ignoring and you no longer can.

They're not grey dammit! They're highlights!  >:(