Marvel 1602 (graphic novel) by Neil Gaiman

Started by Staggerwing, January 13, 2013, 09:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I just ran accros this at Amazon. I figured some of you would be interested...  ;)

Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-1602-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0785141340/ref=tmm_pap_title_0 Trade Paperback

QuoteNeil Gaiman's vision of the Marvel Universe in the year 1602! The year is 1602, and strange things are stirring in England. In the service of Queen Elizabeth, court magician Dr. Stephen Strange senses that the bizarre weather plaguing the skies above is not of natural origin. Her majesty's premier spy, Sir Nicholas Fury, fends off an assassination attempt on the Queen by winged warriors rumored to be in service to a mad despot named Doom. News is spreading of "witchbreed" sightings - young men bearing fantastic superhuman powers and abilities. And in the center of the rising chaos is Virginia Dare, a young girl newly arrived from the New World, guarded by a towering Indian warrior. Can Fury and his allies find a connection to these unusual happenings before the whole world ends? Collects Marvel 1602 #1-8.

It's also available for Kindle Fire devices. Apparently not for other tablets, though.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

spelk

It's got Daredevil as a blindfolded archer! Really enjoyed the oldy-worldy twist it lays over the superheroes mythos.

Steelgrave

Neil Gaiman and Marvel? I'm having a nerd overload! Gaiman is THE man! Awesomeness.

bayonetbrant

I picked that one up on a whim about 2 years ago when I had some extra $ on a B&N gift card.  It was quite an enjoyable read.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

I hadn't heard of it before this post, even though I'm both a Marvel fan and a Gaiman fan. But that is now rectified and the book is on it's way to me, thanks to Amazon  :) And thanks to Stagger for the thread.

Barthheart

This is available through iBooks on my iPad. Will have to pick it up.

Staggerwing

Thanks for that update Barth. I may have to make my first iBooks purchase rather than wait for the hard copy to arrive.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 13, 2013, 01:47:47 PM
I picked that one up on a whim about 2 years ago when I had some extra $ on a B&N gift card.  It was quite an enjoyable read.

+1
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 13, 2013, 01:29:24 PM
Neil Gaiman and Marvel? I'm having a nerd overload! Gaiman is THE man! Awesomeness.

There's a scene involving Mr. Fantastic somewhere in the story with a typically Gaimanish concept to it. I don't want to spoil it, but any fan of Gaiman will go DUH, yeah that's so NG. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

There are sequels which sound pretty good, too; one of them written by Peter David!

Also, there's at least one animated version of 1602!--late in the second season of The Superhero Squad Show, one of the characters spends an episode in the 1602verse.

(TSSS is... um... well, it's like Superior Defender Gundam Force. But with Marvels instead of Gundams. Surprisingly epic in both cases, too.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!