Looking for a novel to go with Far Cry 3

Started by RooksBailey, January 20, 2013, 02:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

Wow: Far Cry 3 went from being a game I had no interest in, to perhaps my favorite game of 2013 (move over Black Ops 2!).  What a gem of a title!  Anyway, I'm one of those gamers that likes to feed his gaming addiction with some extra-curricula reading material.   :)  With that in mind, can someone recommend a book to go with Far Cry 3?  If you don't know, Far Cry 3 is a dark game with a Heart of Darkness theme of madness.  But beyond that, it also deals with all sorts of illegality - from white slavery to drug running, mercenaries for hire and CIA-esque hijinks - all on a tropical island in a state of decay.  Anybody know of a good book like that?

I recall hearing about a book series that took place on a fictional island (or was it a fictional Central American country?) that dealt with similar themes, but I cannot remember what it was called (funny, I can see the cover, though: a cartoonish & colorful view of the landscape with a white plane zooming over head). 

Anyway, any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Gusington

Nothing exactly like what you describe above, but The Rook is a great book about British spying and skullduggery and is pretty funny too:

http://www.amazon.com/Rook-Novel-Daniel-OMalley/dp/0316098809/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358699575&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Rook

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

You should check out Andy McNab's Nick Stone series of novels.  They're about a former SAS soldier who was part of the assassination mission against PIRA members in Gibraltar.  He's hung out to dry after that incident and is then trying to get on as a full time deniable ops guy with MI-6.   They dangle the promise in front of him and treat him like absolute garbage as he goes from assignment to assignment.  He's kind of the anti-James Bond in that, apart from his soldiering and survival skills, he's a total screw up and things always seem to go from bad to worse for him.

The novels take place all over the world but there are some in tropical bits like Colombia, Panama, and Malaysia.  Lots of shady characters from self serving corrupt politicos to Russian mobsters to Irish thugs to Central American drug runners.

The first couple of novels are a bit weak in the story department as they rely on a few too many well worn cliches but as McNab becomes a more confident novelist, the stories get a lot more complex.  The main strength in all the novels is McNab's in-depth knowledge of trade-craft. 

I think there are 13 novels in the series as of now.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nick+stone+andy+mcnab&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anick+stone+andy+mcnab

RooksBailey

Thanks for the recommendations!  I'll check 'em out.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway