A Warlock beginners AAR

Started by MetalDog, February 09, 2013, 11:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Warlock is a fun game.  I like playing and I am still discovering new spells, monsters and buffs.  I thought I would share my next game with you.  Hope you enjoy.

I chose a small world which gives me one opponent and two otherworldly planes.  The only victory condition is elimination of the other mage.  Thankfully, the game gives us two persistent A.I. foes, monsters and neutrals, so, the challenge will be to balance all of them against each other as I expand at all of their expense.

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

I chose Rjakh as my mage.  His troop type/path is Undead.  Undead units don't need Food, so, that will save on support costs.  He is an Instructor which gives my units +1 Experience per turn.  His Spell allows a cheap haste spell to be cast on my units.  That will help in the early going to expand my field of view.

MetalDog

This is my starting city, Gravegloom.  My starting buildings are a Graveyard, a Mana Trap and a Market.  A Pig Farm is the first building I will make.  the additional food will help grow your city faster which will allow you to put up more buildings.

MetalDog

The next step is to choose your initial spell research.  Just a quick digression here.  I've played two full games and many partial ones and I have noticed that there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason for the choices and progression of the spell research.  That uncertainty adds an element of use what is at hand to accomplish the goal.  The only thing you can control is how fast you research what you choose.  In this case, neither of the healing spells is useful to me (they don't work on Undead) and Harvest Blessing is too expenive in time to research and cast once discovered.  So, Melee Resistance it is.

You will also have noticed that I have an Archer an a Warrior unit at my disposal and a nice, juicy Neutral city, Greyville, directly next to me.  I have moved my units in to attack, hoping that the units I have at hand will take the city.

TheCommandTent

Cool thread MetalDog, looking forward to following it!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

Thanks Tent.  I look forward to finishing it.  It will be a test of my intestinal fortitude.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MetalDog on February 09, 2013, 12:04:36 PM
Thanks Tent.  I look forward to finishing it.  It will be a test of my intestinal fortitude.

Isn't that what Chinese takeout is for?  :o
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

My first unit is built, a Skeleton Archers.  The distance attack ability will alow me to soften the city from afar.

MetalDog

I also notice that I have enough money to build Settlers.  Another quick digression.  The one theme I can say runs through this whole game is expansion.  You constantly need to be battling for more space.  Whether that's building more cities or taking them, that's pretty much the goal in every game.

MetalDog

My first level has been gained!  My Skeleton Archers, I'll call him Pete, has gained a level and the choice of his first buff.  I take +20% Missile Damage. 

MetalDog

My capital has expanded.  I find that I am -1 Mana per Turn, so, I choose to build a Mana Vault.

MetalDog

Melee Resistance is done.  And now I choose Lesser Healing as my next Spell.  I think Greyville is a Human city and Healing works on those units.

MetalDog

I also receive my first quest this turn, to build a Craftsmen District.  One of the things I love about this game is, they will often reward you for the actions you already want to take.

MetalDog

After surrounding the city, I have absorbed Greyville into my empire.

MetalDog

Now comes the hard part.  The first building in my new city is either a Gold Mine, which adds +12 Gold per turn,  Pumpkin Farm which gives me beaucoup food or Shrine of the Rotten Pumpkin which gives me access to a Regeneration buff that costs 75 Gold per unit that wants to own it.  As Healing spells don't work on my Undead units, Regen would be very useful.  However, the cost to arm each unit with said buff is 75 Gold.  I chicken out on making the tough decision and choose Gold Mine.  Gotta have coin to make the economy hum.