Just musing on my recent reading

Started by Toonces, February 13, 2013, 01:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I've been thinking about this some the last few months.

For a really, really long time I read non-fiction history and science books almost exclusively.  Maybe 3 or 4 years ago I finally broke out of that mold and started reading a lot more fiction.

Most of my fiction reading in the past has been staples- Stephen King, Tom Clancy, stuff like that.  But when I got my first Kindle 3 years ago I started prowling around for books that are available for free, and at that point I started getting into more classic novels.

Since that time I've read quite a bit of classic literature.  Or, maybe I should just say "old" literature; not every book that is old is necessarily a "classic".  But what I'm finding is that once the initial learning curve was overcome, I'm finding I almost prefer the older books to more modern fiction. 

I'll provide an example.  As I've said before, I've been spending the last year or so reading the Fire and Sword trilogy, translated from Polish to English in the 1800s and, frankly, it can be a tough read.  The writing style is different and, just the way things are described is totally different from how we describe things now.  I contrast that to, say, Bernard Cornwell's books, for example Agincourt or The Last Kingdom.  I know that they are both good books, but I was unable to stick with either because of the writing and, instead, find myself falling back on books like Ivanhoe, The Three Musketeers, The Deluge, etc.  I'm almost looking forward to finishing the book I'm reading so I can dig into Anna Karenina or War and Peace next.

I guess what I'm saying is that now that I've broken the ice with these harder books I'm finding I kind of like staying in that groove and reading harder, more difficult fiction books.  Modern fiction, when I try it, feels flat in comparison.

I don't know if that makes sense, but my reading habits have changed a lot since I got my kindle and started exploring free, older books.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I used to be an adventurer like you and read history and other non fiction almost exclusively. Then I discovered horror, steampunk and historical fiction and my ratio is now 50/50. In the last few months months I have actually read more fiction than non, something I have never done before. And I don't even own a Kindle! God knows what wackiness would ensue if I got one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I was expecting an arrow somewhere in there...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2013, 08:38:22 AM
I used to be an adventurer like you and read history and other non fiction almost exclusively. Then I discovered horror, steampunk and historical fiction and my ratio is now 50/50. In the last few months months I have actually read more fiction than non, something I have never done before. And I don't even own a Kindle! God knows what wackiness would ensue if I got one.

Gus, please give me some Steampunk reading idea's. I've read Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, which I really enjoyed, and the follow-up, Iron Council (which I did not think was as good). However, I'm not even sure if you would class them as being Steampunk - but I'm willin' to be h'educated :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

There's a good three book series by Sean McMullen about a future where there is no electricity or even steam-power (so I guess the stories are actually Wind-Punk). The first title is 'Souls in the Great Machine' and takes place in Australia. The second book, 'The Miocene Arrow', moves the story to another locale, and the third, 'Eyes of the Calculor', brings a number of previously unrelated stories together.

QuoteSouls in the Great Machine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Souls in the Great Machine

Author(s)   Sean McMullen

Followed by   The Miocene Arrow, Eyes of the Calculor
Souls in the Great Machine, by Sean McMullen, is the first book in the post-apocalyptic Greatwinter Trilogy. The book was published in June 1999. It is set in a future Australia where electricity has been banned by all major religions, librarians fight duels to settle disputes and wind engines are the main form of mechanical power. The book deals with the a machine called the Calculor, and its ambitious creator Zarvora Cyberline. In a world where an elusive Call lures men and beasts across the continent to their watery deaths in the great oceans, the Highliber Zarvora Cyberline and her Calculor, with the promise of unbeatable strategies and a iron cast tax system begin a process that will upset the fragile balance of the Australian continent.

It was originally published in Australia as two separate books, Voices In The Light (1994) and Mirrorsun Rising (1995).

The multiple story lines have a lot going on with plenty of intrigue.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

^^Somehow that seems to match you well.  I don't know why.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

Just the thought I had. "Spring Heel Jack..... Gus.... would like that."

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Thanks guys, I'll look into those.

Gus, did you ever read 'A Transatlantic Tunnel - Hurrah!' by Harry Harrison? Its an alternative Victorian reality, and very much steam-powered. You should be able to pick it up on amazon and its a great read.

'Clip those corners'

Longdan

bob48

^Yeah. 'Bill the Galactic Hero' is a really funny book.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

Never heard of it Bob, thanks. It's also funny? I find a lot of good steampunk and scifi have a good dose of humor. Heck even some straight history can have its funny moments if the writer is up to it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd