Main Menu

Babylon 5

Started by GDS_Starfury, February 23, 2013, 12:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

its almost 20 years since this show first hit tv.  with all of the other crap being redone and rebooted wouldnt this be a great series to start up again?  or should it be left alone?  personally I think it not only revitalized sci fi at the time but it did a ton to reshape tv storytelling as a whole.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

move this to the music/tv/movie forum please.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

First bring back Firefly!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Given what's been done to poor Star Trek and Star Wars, I think it may be best for B5 to be left in peace.  I would love to see it be re-aired, though! 

Quote from: mirth on February 23, 2013, 08:00:01 AM
First bring back Firefly!
Also, this. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

eyebiter

doubt any B5 remake will ever happen.  Warner burned J. Michael Straczynski using Hollywood accounting.

TheCommandTent

I really enjoyed B5 and would be all for bringing back the series if they could guarantee they wouldn't screw it up by adding all sorts of "modern" plot lines and characters that are "popular" now or turning it into some sort of social/political grandstand.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Longdan

They could have a Republican space station full of old people talking about the "Good Old Days",
when commies and minorities knew their place: under the wheels of a space DeSoto and working below decks.
I really liked Firefly and I do not even watch TV.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

besilarius

Star, this may be familiar to you, but this is a pretty good overview.

http://io9.com/5985727/the-strange-secret-evolution-of-babylon-5
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

GDS_Starfury

thanks.  that was a good article.

Shelldrake

As much as I am a huge fan of B5, I doubt that the lighting will strike twice for a revival. Crusade was not bad (and might has been good given the chance) but The Legend of the Rangers was terrible, in spite of the welcome appearance by Andreas Katsulas.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 23, 2013, 08:45:11 AM
I really enjoyed B5 and would be all for bringing back the series if they could guarantee they wouldn't screw it up by adding all sorts of "modern" plot lines and characters that are "popular" now or turning it into some sort of social/political grandstand.

Then it would be Star Trek: The Next Generation.

GDS_Starfury

I think theres enough backstory that it wouldnt have to be a reboot of the series.  theres lots to make stories out of.
The Psi War
first contact with the Centauri and the 1st Drahk War (sp)
Babylons 1 through 3

JasonPratt

Quote from: Shelldrake on February 24, 2013, 03:39:52 PM
As much as I am a huge fan of B5, I doubt that the lighting will strike twice for a revival. Crusade was not bad (and might has been good given the chance) but The Legend of the Rangers was terrible, in spite of the welcome appearance by Andreas Katsulas.

Once JMS finished his plot in the 4th season (having had to rush it, although in a good way), he was out of anywhere to solidly go.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

AFAIK it was written that way.  that was the terminal dive of the story arc.
theres an saying about going out on top.

JasonPratt

No, season 5 was originally planned to end out where 4 did.

Meanwhile, was the original traitor on B5 ever officially identified? I'm sure (having watched the whole series several times) that he or she wasn't identified in the show itself, and the "duties" of the traitor were shifted over to someone who wasn't in the Gathering pilot (I'm trying to avoid spoilers for those who might watch the show later), but that doesn't explain the pilot episode traitor.

The last time I watched the pilot movie, I made a dedicated effort to work out who was most likely or certainly the original traitor, and I decided it had to be the original 2nd in command under Sinclair. (I've forgotten her name, but I liked her. Asian actress.) Hints about Ivanova later point back in that original plot direction, too, although if that was the original intention I think JMS was wise to try not to run the same plot with two different characters.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!