Author Topic: Looking for a book?  (Read 368 times)

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
Looking for a book?
« on: August 10, 2021, 07:46:53 AM »
If you're looking for a recommendation for your library, post it here.

I'll start...Lately, I've been in the mood for something beefy about the first Gulf War. Does anybody have any good recommendations for a detailed reference book covering Desert Shield/Desert Storm? I'm talking about a reference type book with maps, charts, OOBs, etc.

I've done general searches on google, amazon and other commercial sources and have not found anything that appears to be the reference style I am looking for.

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline bobarossa

• Viking
  • Master of Oreos
Re: Looking for a book?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 08:01:39 AM »
Looked through the bibliography of Atkinson's Crusade.  Not sure how accessable it is but it listed Certain Victory: The American Army in the Gulf War by the US Army Special Study Group, February 1993 (draft).  There is also listed The United States Navy in Desert Shield/Desert Storm by the Department of the Navy, May 1991.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 08:10:38 AM »
Looked through the bibliography of Atkinson's Crusade.  Not sure how accessable it is but it listed Certain Victory: The American Army in the Gulf War by the US Army Special Study Group, February 1993 (draft).  There is also listed The United States Navy in Desert Shield/Desert Storm by the Department of the Navy, May 1991.

Ah. Good idea to check the bibliography. I have Crusade somewhere.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Dammit Carl!

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 09:30:34 AM »
Not certain on the beefiness of it, but iirc, GDW put out a Desert Shield/Desert Storm book - pretty sure (if Twilight 2k is any indication) there'd be charts, maps and all sorts of crunchy stuffs.

Downside is that you'd have to get it used, if you can even find it at all.

Offline Tripoli

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 11:45:48 AM »
How about the US Army history of the Gulf War? https://history.army.mil/html/books/070/70-117-1/index.html
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln

Offline Redwolf

• Viking
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 10:07:39 AM »
Can somebody recommend first-hand accounts from WW2 naval surface operations? English or German language.

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
  • Honus Wagner - "The Flying Dutchman"
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 11:22:20 AM »
Honus Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Offline bobarossa

• Viking
  • Master of Oreos
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 04:12:43 PM »
The Mammoth Book of Eyewitness Naval Battles  edited by Richard Russell Lawrence
https://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Book-Eyewitness-Naval-Battles/dp/0786712384/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mammoth+book+of+eyewitness&qid=1631311820&s=books&sr=1-5
Covers all history.  WW2 section is about 150 pages long.

Offline Tripoli

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 01:31:46 PM »
Can somebody recommend first-hand accounts from WW2 naval surface operations? English or German language.

I second AZTank's recommendation of "Japanese Destroyer Captain."  It is a must-read.  Also, "A History of United States Destroyer Operations in WWII" is good.  This book was written in the 1950s, but is based largely on the ship operations reports, so it is effectively a first hand account of various actions, from the perspective of DE/DD sailors.

(https://www.amazon.com/United-States-Destroyer-Operations-World/dp/0870217267/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Theodore+Roscoe&qid=1631474948&sr=8-1)
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln

Offline solops

• Man-at-Arms
  • Woof!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
For WW2 Naval Surface first hand account, it does not get better than

"Japanese Destroyer Captain" by Tameichi Hara.

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Destroyer-Captain-Guadalcanal-Battles/dp/1591143845/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3JSR1NHGBF8FA&dchild=1&keywords=japanese+destroyer+captain&qid=1631293775&sprefix=japanese+destroy%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-1

An outstanding book that I have read many times. Capt. Hara also commanded the light cruiser (Yahagi?) that sailed with the Yamato on its last sorti, which is in the book.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin