What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

Good to know Gus ! I may need to knock over a liquor store this weekend - if you wanta come up I'll cut ya in !

Gusington

Sounds like my dog could be useful to you...we'll be up Thursday.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Saw the new version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy recently.
That got me to re reading Anthony Price's series of spy novels.
I always liked his work more than LeCarre's.  His people are more understandable to me, and his central character is nowhere so opaque and calculating as George Smiley.
The other thing I like about the series is all of the historical tidbits, Price includes.  The main character is both a spycatcher as well as a history dean.  So, many of the stories get odd boosts from historical factors.  The main Soviet nemesis is aware of the weakness of David Audley for historical coincidences.
If you like spy fiction, I really like Price and would recommend his series to wargamers. 
His first two books were a little weak, as his writing improved the books got better.  If you are interested, I'd recommend October Men or War Game as good ones to begin with.
For anyone reading the Hornblower series, Price's book, Eyes of the Fleet, is a historical study of frigates, and their captains, during the Napoleonic Wars.  Excellent read.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

I just bought Taiko used from Amazon. It's a 1000 page English translation about the Japanese Age of the Country at War...the era that the Shogun games cover.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

spelk

Now reading (listening to) A Clash of Kings, in readiness for A Game of Thrones Season 2 coming real soon now. Put me in a mind to play Crusader Kings II over the Game of Thrones RTS game though.

Gusington

^April 1st the new Game of Thrones season begins!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bayonet_Chris

^ Woot! So excited!

I also just downloaded "The Lies of Locke Lamora" for the trans-Pacific flight. I should have plenty to read.

Right now, my list is:
* When Christ and his Saints Slept
* Leopard Moon (my friend's book)
* The Hunger Games trilogy
* The Lies of Locke Lamora

Too bad Cold Days (next Dresden book) isn't out yet.

Jack Nastyface

Any one read any of the Matthew Hervey books?  Any recommendations or detractions?

http://www.booksattransworld.co.uk/allanmallinson/website/books.shtml
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Arctic Blast

Well, about to read The Hunger Games. Will let you know how it is.

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 19, 2012, 11:07:15 PM
Well, about to read The Hunger Games. Will let you know how it is.

The wife and kids rave about it. I'm holding off mostly because it's their thing.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

I'm presently half way through Titan, the second book of Stephen Baxter's NASA Trilogy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Trilogy

It's a good series so far. Hard science SciFi. Really neat concepts on alternate timelines of NASA based on different political environments and incidents.
Really gives NASA the gears for being a political tool rather than a scientific body.
Makes me sad about what human space travel could/should have been....

Gusington

Halfway through Luthor Huss, a Warhammer title (my first). Luthor is a witch hunter in a very dark, German-inspired world. Bloody, supernatural action, good to read while playing something like Skyrim. It will probably take me less than a week to finish it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

I have come to enjoy the WH fantasy titles more than the 40K ones. Space Marines are usually so over-the-top that, while fun, it's difficult to relate to.

The fantasy writing is grounded. Though fantasy, the weakness of characters seem more real.

Gusington

^Got any other recommendations? I am really enjoying Luthor Huss. Would love to get more. Anything involving witchcraft, demons, ghosts and goblins of course is welcomed.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 20, 2012, 12:50:54 PM
^Got any other recommendations? I am really enjoying Luthor Huss. Would love to get more. Anything involving witchcraft, demons, ghosts and goblins of course is welcomed.

Sure, if you're into vampires, the Ulrika series is good. Blood Born is perhaps a little better than Bloodforged, but both are good.

I wouldn't recommend the Vampire Wars - it's more history than entertainment (particularly if you play Vampire Counts as a faction) - but just as you start to like them the author reminds you that they really are evil. Interesting read, but not entertaining in a traditional sense of the good guy winning at the end.

Brunner is very good. You will want to read that.

Warrior Priest was also really good.