What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 03:38:44 PM
I like it when writers take some liberties with history as long as they are not too ridiculous.

'Geek tell us why you like Imajica...

oh man - firstly as a sci fi geek i always like a little history and religious mystery thrown into my books - the hero of the piece is Gentle/John Fury Zacharias, a man who ultimately realises he is the man to reconcile Earth to 4 other Dominions that make up the Imajica - Earth been the unreconciled 5th Dominion. Before him came other luminaries such as Casanova and Jesus - the book aludes to the fact that there were 4 wise men originally, all looking for Jesus as he was the next Reconciler - the Imajica can only be reconciled every 250 years, and its Gentles responsibility this time round. Can he work the miracle whilst dark forces conspire to prevent the Reconciliation, including the Tabula Rasa, a body established to wipe magic from the face of the Earth to prevent the previous disaster of the mid 18th century. And will he be reunited with his lost love - Pie o Pah, a mystif capable of taking on any form its beholder projects making it the ultimate assasin and/or whore - a role forced upon it by its previous master Satori.

Its a very cleverly disguised rework of revelations and the new testament in my opinion, but please dont let that be all you take away from this, im the most unreligious person youll find and i think its wonderful! Its a love story, a tragedy, and a masterpiece - its the first book that ever made me laugh out loud and (im amongst friends here) the first book that ever made me cry

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0006178049/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFiveStar&showViewpoints=0

A lot of people here say it better than i can

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

whilst im aware of who this is, why, what and how it happened, and also its appearance has led to tea on the laptop screen and my face - im not sure i see the connection, but hell it made me laugh out loud  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gusington

Of course you can see the connection. Your description of Imajica almost made me call the police. Good show!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Keunert

Homicide by David Simon, great read so far. next will be the corner.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Hiimori

Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 04:19:33 PM
Of course you can see the connection. Your description of Imajica almost made me call the police. Good show!

Imajica - this was one of my favorite books in the mid-90s, I think I read it about 5 times then. I should dig it out and read it again!
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

undercovergeek

Quote from: Hiimori on January 13, 2013, 06:22:30 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2013, 04:19:33 PM

Imajica - this was one of my favorite books in the mid-90s, I think I read it about 5 times then. I should dig it out and read it again!

please do

i got all excited when checking on amazon that there was a second part - it seems a lot of people made this mistake, apparently they split the 1100 page original in two and lots of people bought part 2 thinking it was a sequel, as i almost did

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I don't mind long books if they have a compelling storyline.

Gusington

True. The Shining is 650 but is like butta.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Moby Dick does not have a compelling story.  Actually it's pretty damned horrible.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I reserve my angst for English professors who continue to preach how great Moby Dick is to their students.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

It's too long if you don't like Wales.  Welshmen are annoying.
"Call me Ismael." My ass!! Call you a long winded motherhumper.
That's what I'll do.  Call you a paid by the word zillionaire, old dead white guy!
Anyway, gives Lit a bad name.
digni enim sunt interdicunt