What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I just started reading Ender's Game. It must be an enjoyable book--I'm nearly halfway through it already.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on November 08, 2013, 12:18:01 PM
I've wanted to read Frankenstein forever.

You've never read it?  Oh my!

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Am  currently in the middle of my annual (semi-annual? I've kinda lost track) rereading of Fool by Christopher Moore.  Only he could turn Shakespeare's King Lear into a bawdy comedy.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I do enjoy saying the name like 'Fraunenschtein'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Catilina's Riddle: A Novel of Ancient Rome, Steven Saylor

Gordianus the Finder is one of my favorite characters.  I've said it before but he's like the Sherlock Holmes of Ancient Rome.  Good easy reading.

Greybriar

Yesterday I began reading Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll. I find it very enlightening.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

^ooh I've been looking to pick that up, post your impressions. I have Toll's Pacific Crucible which I will read at some point over the winter.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Am rereading another Turtledove novel, In the Presence of Mine Enemies.  It requires a somewhat greater suspension of disbelief than others of his books, but still enjoyable. 

Quote from: Bison on November 10, 2013, 10:25:49 PM

Gordianus the Finder is one of my favorite characters.  I've said it before but he's like the Sherlock Holmes of Ancient Rome.  Good easy reading.
Yeah, I remember you mentioning him before.  Is there any particular book in the series you'd recommend to a newcomer? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Bison

Quote from: Martok on November 12, 2013, 10:47:50 AM
Am rereading another Turtledove novel, In the Presence of Mine Enemies.  It requires a somewhat greater suspension of disbelief than others of his books, but still enjoyable. 

Quote from: Bison on November 10, 2013, 10:25:49 PM

Yeah, I remember you mentioning him before.  Is there any particular book in the series you'd recommend to a newcomer?

Roman Blood is this first book in the Roma Sub Rosa series. 

http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Blood-Gordianus-Finder-1-ebook/dp/B003J5652U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384338290&sr=8-1&keywords=ROMAN+BLOOD

Martok

Gusington

About to start "In the Shadow of Empires: The Historic Vlad Dracula, the Events that He Shaped and the Events that Shaped Him" by someone named Sir Jens.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Here is a great visual for how absolutely ruthless George R.R.Martin is. Every bookmark is a death in his series.  ;D

(although it could be argued that this season of Sons of Anarchy is even bloodier)  8)