HOI III (Their Finest Hour) AAR - Going it alone

Started by undercovergeek, August 20, 2013, 05:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

This gets better and better. I can't wait to see if the Italians actually manage to float an aircraft carrier in this game.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: bob48 on August 24, 2013, 02:17:54 PM
Brilliant stuff geek - really well done. Almost makes me want to fire up my copy and have another bash at it.

...Martok's right though...he does look a bit like Benny Hill.....

Oi!  I'm not Martok, damn our eyes!

bob48

Ooops - sorry - I think my senility kicked in there....
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

THE BATTLE FOR THE CORUNNA ROAD - 13th August-15th September 1936

Rather than launch a direct assault on Madrid the Nationalist command decided to besiege the city instead, this would mean taking the direct area surrounding Madrid. Colonel Varela launched an attack on the Corunna road which runs to the north of Madrid. His troops held a seven mile section of the road against fierce Republican attacks. As casualties mounted on both sides it became apparent that a stalemate had developed.

THE BATTLE FOR MALAGA - 17th September-6th October 1936

With tens of thousands of Italian troops arriving in Spain, the Nationalists felt strong enough to launch attacks into southern Spain. On the 17th September they launched a three pronged attack on Malaga, from the north, north-east and west. The Republicans had large numbers of men available to defend the city but poor organisation hampered their efforts. On the third of October after fierce fighting the Nationalists were on the outskirts of the town and three days later the Republicans abandoned the city.

THE BATTLE OF JARAMA - 6th-24th October 1936

It was at Jarama valley where the Nationalists renewed their attempt to cut off Madrid. The object of the Nationalist plan was to cut the Valencia road to the south-east of the city at Jarama. At first the Nationalists had success in pushing back the Republican defenders under General Sebastian Pozas across the river Jarama. After this minor defeat General Pozas was replaced by General Miaja on 15th October. The Nationalists had created a salient in the Republican lines and eventually completed their objectives.

BATTLE OF GUADALAJARA - 15th-18th October 1936

In a further attempt to cut off Madrid from the rest of the Republic, the Nationalists launched a two pronged attack toward Guadalajara. The forces attacking from the west under General Jose Moscardo met little resistance, and what forces they did encounter were poorly trained and equipped. The forces attacking from the east under General Mario Roatta (one of Mussolin's new elite Generals) consisted of mainly Italian troops who successfully took the town of Brihuega on the 15th November. A few days later on the 17th Republican divisions led by Colonel Enrique Jurado launched a counter-attack against the Italian forces assisted with tanks and aircraft. The attack surprised the Italians who struggled to hold the Republicans back, but after fierce fighting the Republicans were ordered to retreat, the retreat soon turned into an all out rout.

THE BATTLE FOR BILBAO - 31st October-18th November 1936

General Mola with his Nationalist forces in the north began an offensive into Basque country with the intent to take the stronghold of Bilbao. The poorly armed Basque forces under General Encomienda were unable to hold back the Nationalist forces. The towns of Guernica and Durango were surrendered on the 28th October after heavy fighting and bombing raids. However on the 3rd of November General Mola was killed in a plane crash and so was replaced by General Davila. On the 11th of November the Basque forces had withdrawn to Bilbao which was heavily defended with a ring of fortifications described as "a ring of iron". The ring of iron collapsed after an assault when fascist infantry supported by heavy artillery made a breech in the line, and all coherent defences dissolved. On the 18th November the defenders abandoned the city evacuating most of the population.

THE BATTLE OF SANTANDER - 19th-25th November 1936

Nationalist forces who had recently captured Bilbao turned their attention to the west. General Davila launched an offensive toward Santander through the Cantabrian Mountains. Republican General Mariano had large numbers of men at his disposal, but lacked weapons and ammunition, as a result the Republicans were unable to maintain an effective defence. On the 23rd of November they surrendered and the Nationalists entered Santander meeting little resistance.

THE BATTLE FOR MADRID - 7th-29rd December 1936

The Nationalists realised that to end the war they would have to take Madrid, the immediate forces at their disposal were of those under the command of General Davila, his forces were an experienced mix of Italian, German and Moroccan units of the Army of Africa. The first assault came from the direction of the north west with troops under the command of Colonel Varela, by the 16th Varela's troops had gained a bridge head over the river Manzarnares, as a result of the fighting that ensued three-quarters of the university city was lost to the Nationalists. The brave, but poorly armed militia units under General Miaja, supported by soviet tanks and aircraft were able to hold back the Nationalist advance. Further assistance came from the newly formed International Brigades, particularly the 11th Brigade which comprised of German, Polish and French volunteers but by the 23rd the Republican troops were exhausted and had suffered high casualties. They eventually capitulated and surrendered on 29 December 1936. The Spanish Civil War was over, Franco had won and the Nationalists controlled Spain.

Italian troops returned home to a hero's welcome. They had committed themselves well on the battlefield, they had gained much needed experience and had made a reputation for themselves and Mussolini.

General Franco inspects his troops at the Nationalist victory parade through Madrid

Martok

Nice mini-AAR there 'geek.  That was a fun "side-quest" to the Big Show.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

In early January 1937 Cantieri's work on the blueprints for a full fleet carrier was completed. Mussolini immediately ordered their yards to begin constructing Italy's first carrier, to be christened the RM Aquila. For the first few moths of 1937 it was a golden age of industrial might, technological advances and everyone basked in the triumphs of Italian engineering, and were justly proud of the technological marvels they had constructed. Incredible bursts of advancement were achieved, steel and coal production registered efficiency improvements, industry itself become more efficient and productive, and the Italian infantryman was becoming the most advanced soldier in Europe. Mussolini rushed to award new contracts in the aftermath of these great successes. Cantieri received contracts to develop aircraft carrier engines and anti-aircraft ordnance. The army staff received instructions to pursue further study of supply organization, and Italian industry received directives to improve their supply production and general industrial efficiency yet again. Italian research and industrial prowess was being firmly established and Italy's star was rising in Europe. It should have come as no surprise then in late May of 1937 when Hitler travelled to Rome to make a direct and personal appeal to Mussolini.

Hitler proposed to form a Pact of Steel between their two countries and to join what he referred to as the Axis Powers. Behind closed doors heavy debate ensued - Germany had vast potential resources both natural and in manpower, plus the industrial capabilities to put them to use and in a war Germany would be a powerful ally. However, Mussolini was mindful of his meeting with Doctor Rossi not so long ago. There was a very compelling section in that report on Hilter's psychology and how his mind worked. Hitler was bent on the aggrandizement of Germany and himself. He would not be content with strategic successes, but would try at all costs to achieve victory in the face of overwhelming numbers and ignore the facts presented to him. Even now he ignored the superiority of the Royal Navy, the vast land mass of Russia and its inexhaustable supply of manpower and of course the sleeping industrial giant across the Atlantic. Mussolini could not envision his Italian divisions marching in London or Moscow and he would not envision a war where his nation was brought to heel by German might. He flattered Hitler, told him that Italy and Germany and their new cousins Spain were hearts beating in the same chest, but graciously declined his request. He had his own plans for Italy and Europe.

Staggerwing

:-\ Schicklgruber is going to be a bit miffed and he's been known to carry a grudge. You may want to get a spy set up over there if the game allows.

Also, does HOI3 permit you to trade or buy the license for certain specific tech or just a general class of stuff? Say, P&W based radial engines as opposed to aircraft engines in general?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 25, 2013, 03:58:08 PM
Also, does HOI3 permit you to trade or buy the license for certain specific tech or just a general class of stuff? Say, P&W based radial engines as opposed to aircraft engines in general?

it does indeed - but as far as i know you purchase a production run of units not components to put in your own - so i could buy Messerschmitts for the airforce but not just the engines

JasonPratt

Glad you were able to get your game restarted after the catastrophic crash, UGeek!

Going it alone, indeed. ;) (Well, not entirely alone, Spain has your back or at least vice versa. Wow, there must have been at least a few dozen civilian supporters at that victory parade!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quoteand the Italian infantryman was becoming the most advanced soldier in Europe.

Never thought I'd ever read those words presented seriously. ;)

undercovergeek

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 25, 2013, 07:25:47 PM
Quoteand the Italian infantryman was becoming the most advanced soldier in Europe.

Never thought I'd ever read those words presented seriously. ;)

lol - me neither

JasonPratt

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 25, 2013, 07:25:47 PM

Never thought I'd ever read those words presented seriously AGAIN. ;)

Fixed that for you. ;)

(The Italian infantry and cavalry was once the most advanced soldier in Europe for a very long time, and their artillery/archery wasn't far behind.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Spurred on by the unexpected visit and the unerring feeling that momentus things were beginning to happen in Europe, Mussolini, on June 1, 1937 finally gave the eight divisions under the command of General Marinetti the long awaited assault order on Addis Ababa. There were still two full infantry divisions in the capital led by General Mersa including Sellassie's veteran Imperial Bodyguard. However, these doomed troops were encircled and hopelessly outnumbered. It cost 222 of Italy's finest, but Addis Ababa was taken and the East African war was promptly ended. Ethiopia surrendered unconditionally and Mussolini immediately ordered the installation of a new collaborative government in Addis Ababa and instructed all Italian troops to immediately move with all possible speed to the port of Ed for embarkation back to Italy. These now experienced infantry divisions had artillery support brigades ready and waiting for them in the vicinity of Trieste.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Your army needs a catchphrase for whenever you win a battle. 

I'd go with yelling out "It'sa spaghetti time!" in an offensively stereotypical Italian accent, but that's just me.

undercovergeek

Flush with success in Ethiopia and very pleased with the new military upscale, Mussolini and Pariani set about creating an elite force, the new modern Regio Esercito. After reading through the many reports of the Army Staff and Pariani's recommendations - 6 Generals were selected. This new army was put under the direct command of General Barbasetti di Prun, an officer well known for his no nonsense approach and attacking capability. This army was divided into 5 corps and each corps given to a General skilled in at least attack -

8th Army command structure