Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Started by PanzersEast, September 10, 2013, 12:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

If you played Cataclysm and thought it was dead... it is now back.

https://cataclysmdda.org/

PE

Edited to insert less odious linkage

Nefaro

I'm not familiar with it.  A roguelike, I take it? 

Since it's getting a graphical tileset, I'll probably check it out.  :D

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 10, 2013, 02:37:25 PM
I'm not familiar with it.  A roguelike, I take it? 

Since it's getting a graphical tileset, I'll probably check it out.  :D

Yea.... it is a roguelike that sets you in a zombie infested world.  Scavenge and try to stay alive.  Pretty fun game and free.

PE

Yskonyn

Time for a proper necro!
It's also quite applicable to the theme of the game.

Thanks to Al I have been checking out this game. It's been a total blast!
The simulation aspects of the game are pretty cool! You need to hydrate and feed yourself and keep food and water clean or purify it. Threat infection, disease and wounds.
Disinfect material you use for medical application.
You can interact with almost anything in the game world in some way or another. Crafting is very detailed and things like lighting even get checked, where an insufficiently lit workplace causes crafting to fail.

So far it has Dwarf Fortress depth in a roguelike form. Pretty cool!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ubercat

This thread should be in R & P. Oh wait, it's about a game? Nevermind.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

al_infierno

Yeah, this has been my favorite roguelike as of lately.  Even though there's no actual end-goal, the insane amount of depth and survival mechanics are a blast.

Lately I've been really enjoying the Helicopter Crash start.  It gives you 4 bonus character points to spend, and since you're a National Guardsman, you start out with a duffel bag full of gear and some decent armor.  On the downside, you start with some wounds, and RNG can screw you by spawning you in a troop transport chopper, which means you're surrounded by about a dozen of your former friends.  If that happens, I tend to just delete the character and make a new one until I'm happy with the start.   :buck2:

I find that with the default Evacuee/Survivor start, the most frustrating part is the very start when you don't have any sort of bag yet, and you're entirely dependent on luck to find a backpack or duffel bag so you can start stocking up on food and useful gear.

Oh, and I can't understate the importance of finding a melee weapon with range, like a pitchfork!  These let you hit zombies from a tile away, so you can effectively play keepaway with them and kill them before they touch you.  You can craft one with a Long Stick, a knife, and some duct tape, but these tend to break super fast.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Also, I found a reddit comment with a load of newbie tips, including a bunch of things I didn't know.  Mentions of "experimental" are in reference to the experimental build, which has mechanics that are still in development.

Clay can be found by just digging pits. You also find stones and pebble that way.

To train markmanship and archery build a practise target, use a slingshot with pebbles, press s on the fire menu to switch to precise shooting and hold f. You can also use a bow with arrows for it, of course.

To train "throwing" either throw stuff manually, or find some rocks, craft a sling and use the sling instead.

"Rifle" can be trained with a crossbow. "submachine guns" with a repeating crossbow, "handguns" with a pisol crossbow. Normal weapons can be used, of course, but that is a silent approach.

To train at night, drop a lighted up cellphone directly on the pratice target.

If you need lead for bullets, disassemble a car battery to get 5000 units.

If you need steel for a anvil but you don't have a hacksaw or a wrench, craft a homewrecker and smash a car/wreck to pieces. For the crucible use clay. Stone for the forge can be found lying around or by burning a house. Also digging reveales stones. Metallurgy is now possible for your character just by stuff lying around.

Autopickup is your friend. My list is over 250 entries, I raid houses by just going in and next to cupboards. For exampe to get most fooditems which are still fresh use m(material included). m:egg m:fruit matter m:garlic m:tomato m:mushroom m:nut m:vegetable matter m:wheat. m:flesh can be tricky, you may pick up stuff you don't want to. Experimental: *jar >* for example would pick up any jar with content. *sealed* would only pick up sealed and safe items. Use exclude to exclude *rotten*, so you don't pick up rotten stuff. m:kevlar to pick anything up containing kevlar (for cutting). Add exclude *filthy* at the end to only pick up clean stuff.

Collect smartphones for distractions. While night raiding, switch on the light, activate the alarm (5 minutes) and throw the phone, let the zombies come to the light/sound and use your slingshot to pick them off. (thx to u/Silurio1 for his clarification that light alone is not enough)

When spotting an item on the ground with the look around button, use T to let your character move there automatically.

To move somewhere on the overmap automatically, use W.

Use rain sprouts to climb up onto roofs. To climb use the button for stairs up.

Don't jump down a ledge, examine it to climb down instead.

On the roof of the evacuation center, you find water tanks, disassemble them for 4 60 l barrels. Which you can use to store water in.

If you don't have a infinite water source, place a barrel directly under a water spout. They are very very efficient funnels.

Warehouse shelfs are non passable, bit can store up to 3000l.

Workshop benches reduce crafting time, 10%.

Saw off the barrel of shotguns to lower volume and length.

Use a homewrecker to smash up to medium rocks.

A quarterstaff is a good weapon especially on early game.

To create a distraction, especially at night, you can shoot windows with your slingshot to generate sound somewhere else.

Don't stay on the same position for too long, Zombies have a good sense of smell, so staying stationary will lead to accumulated human smell. Try to be as mobile as posible and don't try anything too risky.

To survive the winter foodwise, get acorns in fall. Make roasted Acorns in bulk. They are fresh for 2 seasons and can be eaten frozen. Place them in an auto-eat zone. If you have a freezer, fill it up with said roasted acorns, they will never spoil and can be eaten anytime.

If you need long sticks (long stout branches) for polearms/spears, smash small trees. They provide enough.

Some weapons have reach attack. Use the f (fire) button to activate it.

You can get hay from tall grass by cuting it. How? You need a machete or a sickle. You can make a makeshift machete from just duct tape (which is very common nowadays) and a blade. How to get a blade? Disassamble a lawnmower for example. Other examples are butcher knife, carving knife, chef knife, meat cleaver and vegetable cleaver, Household items.

Disassemble fridges to get ruber hoses to craft (you guessed it) slingshot or to siphon gas and diesel from cars.

Objects which contain anything which can be repaired by a wooden needle/tailorkit can be reinforced (++), this includes weapons! For example the blackjack.

Bulk/Batch crafting only makes sense when there are batch time savings. Else craft every object individually, especially when failures (and therefore loss of material) can happen.

Cellphones (not smartphones) are a superb lightsource for crafting/reading/constructing. They use near to no battery power and are much more efficent than reading lights.

Use an MP3 Player for music and a +10 buff.

For other moral buffs play on a laptop or game watch. There are minigames on there as well! Experimental: it is also a good way to reduce wearyness. Also alcohol is a possiblity.

You can have sound effects in that game. I recomment getting https://github.com/Kenan2000/Otopack-Mods-Updates Otopack. Don't forget to change the options.

A hobo-stove is a good way to heat up food and drinks. It uses tinder which is very easy to aquire. Another way is to activate a cooking source or a pot/frypan.

To recharce battery you can either use a battery charger (householditem) which is very slow or a recharching station which is very fast and can also recharge UPS. You need enough skill in mechanic tho. It must be installed in a container (Box/Trunk/etc). You also need a way to activate it. I usually use dashboards which I get from cars.

Disassembly of certain items will lead to you learning some recipes. I recommend if you are at tailoring 3 and still early game, to disassamble cargo pants. You may learn the recipe that way. You can use filthy ones for that as well.

If you lack the skill to build a car battery/storage battery recharging station, look for a vehicle with a working altinator and engine. You can use non wheeled vehicles as recharger. You can install as many car/storage batteries as you want in the vehicle whereever you want. But be aware: the battery charges only when the vehicle stays in your reality bubble. So take a book with you and overcome the time with reading. If you have the skill, the more altinators you install, the faster the battery charges, but the more fuel the car uses.

Autosort is your friend. Use it and be creative with the custom settings (bills and bark goes directly on my braizer)

Atomic gear runs forever (literally). You typically find coffeemakers and make a reading light with them (or better headlamp) but another lesser known way to craft them is finding a lab and disassembling a certain machinery for betavoltaic cells

Acetylene torches can melt steel walls, use them to get into labs and other high-level restricted areas that require ID cards. Grab all the welding tanks you can find for this purpose and use an arc welder for actual welding.

Vehicle bases are amazing, especially since they buffed cargo carriers from 250l to 500l. If you find a humvee (especially outside a city) mark it and repair it if it doesn't work, then fit it out as you go since it's a solid base vehicle.

Crouching, especially near objects like furniture reduces your visibility to other zombies, not just your own vision. Use it when looting houses during daytime if you really want to avoid fights
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Avast blocked access to the site based on phishing problems! -- beware.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

^ You mean GitHub?  That's very odd, GitHub is usually perfectly safe. (assuming you know what you're downloading from it)

- MengJiao

JasonPratt

No, I meant *EDITED FOR AL'S TENDER SENSIBILITIES*

Clicking on that link threw the phishing alarm. Apparently clicking on it goes to click dot clikepd dot com, which is infected with a phishing virus.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Oh, I see what you mean.  Yeah, the mods may want to edit the OP and remove those outdated links.

- MengJiao

Gusington

Hmm both links scare my rig. What is the valid link?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Might want to edit the link out of JP's post, as well  :buck2:

- MengJiao