CiV V Face Palms

Started by Windigo, October 17, 2013, 01:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

So there I was, playing Japan on a continents map, King level difficulty. 5 other known civs and I was up on score by about 120 (which is solid for that time of the game. The I sent my first caravel out... and met Orange Bill ... the bastard was 2x higher in score than the 2nd place guy (me). *face palm #1*

Hey no problem right? Just march on over there with my Bushido code warriors and show him why the dutch never took over the world.

Then the new patch shows up where the warmonger penalty is bad... really bad *face palm #2*

whats a freaking war monger to do???
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 17, 2013, 01:47:35 PM
bread and circuses

reworking my policy tree on the fly... tradition/honour sure doesn't help the way it used to

W8taminute

I haven't played CiV in a while but if the new patch gives the player severe penalties for warmongering then are happiness buildings really going to compensate?  As it is there never seems to be enough happiness to go around in Civ games when played on the higher difficulties.   ???
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Windigo

Quote from: W8taminute on October 17, 2013, 01:51:10 PM
I haven't played CiV in a while but if the new patch gives the player severe penalties for warmongering then are happiness buildings really going to compensate?  As it is there never seems to be enough happiness to go around in Civ games when played on the higher difficulties.   ???

population management seems to be my next try

bayonetbrant

They've added some happiness buildings, more resources, and some policy changes for happiness, but the policies don't unlock for a little while yet.
He's going to have to go resource-hunting if he wants to keep going to war.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 17, 2013, 02:01:39 PM

They've added some happiness buildings, more resources, and some policy changes for happiness, but the policies don't unlock for a little while yet.
He's going to have to go resource-hunting if he wants to keep going to war.

the fighting is fine, its the holding on to the cities that really kicks you when your down

BanzaiCat

Hey, if you gotta live with a Warmonger tag, might as well go for the fences instead of just a base or two. Who cares what the other Civs think?

Windigo

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 17, 2013, 02:20:03 PM
Hey, if you gotta live with a Warmonger tag, might as well go for the fences instead of just a base or two. Who cares what the other Civs think?

they tend to pile on you en'masse after the 3rd city

anyword on the worthiness of the new DLC?

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Windigo on October 17, 2013, 02:25:01 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 17, 2013, 02:20:03 PM

they tend to pile on you en'masse after the 3rd city

anyword on the worthiness of the new DLC?

You mean the Scrambled Continents pack?

eyebiter

Silent Disapproval Robot

I fired up a marathon game as Poland after getting the Brave New World DLC.  I thought I'd fiddle around with the culture stuff and try to win the game that way.  I probably should have, you know, read something or something as it soon became clear that I no longer had any idea how to achieve a cultural victory with the new game mechanics.  I think I've finally sussed it out (tourism points allow you to "attack" other civilizations and culture points help you defend) but I suspect it's too late in the day to achieve a win.  I'm at around 1972.  All twelve Civs are still in it as well as nineteen of the twenty city states.  I've managed to win over America and Denmark through culture but every other civ is hundreds of turns away from being won over.

I'm in the lead with points yet I have a pretty mediocre civ going.  My military is non-existent but that's OK because this is by far the most peaceful game I've ever seen played.  Hardly anyone fights and everyone likes my except England, who is neutral towards me.  My science is pretty weak.  I think I just discovered ballistics and I'm now looking at atomic theory in 1972. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

I take it back.  I was able to win a cultural victory as a dirty Commie in 2003.  The internet tech really helps spread culture. 

BanzaiCat

As soon as you get Archaeology, start mass-producing Archaeologists and send 'em around the world to dig sites. There's a tech you need as well to see the hidden antiquity sites, but I can't recall what it is. I'll sometimes send Archaeologists into other Civ's territories, but this tends to make them upset. I haven't seen the AI use Archaeologists yet...so hey, if they're not gonna disturb the centuries-old bones of previous Barbarian encampments, I sure as heck will.

eyebiter