Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 20, 2021, 09:48:33 PM
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on August 20, 2021, 09:15:41 PM

To make a totally unhelpful comment that won't help you decide at all, I have found my experience with VKB to be nothing but pure joy

The Gunfighter was my second choice over the Mongoose.  I just really liked the button selection on the Mongoose. 

I seriously almost got the VKB stick back when I got my X56.  I didn't because there was no throttle and I was upgrading from the X52 Pro and needed a dual set.

I just pair mine with the Warthog throttle. Zero complaints.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on August 21, 2021, 09:48:50 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 20, 2021, 09:48:33 PM
Quote from: CaptainKoloth on August 20, 2021, 09:15:41 PM

To make a totally unhelpful comment that won't help you decide at all, I have found my experience with VKB to be nothing but pure joy

The Gunfighter was my second choice over the Mongoose.  I just really liked the button selection on the Mongoose. 

I seriously almost got the VKB stick back when I got my X56.  I didn't because there was no throttle and I was upgrading from the X52 Pro and needed a dual set.

I just pair mine with the Warthog throttle. Zero complaints.

That was the issue I had when I went to the X-56.  I had previously had an X-52 Pro and needed the entire HOTAS replaced.  A VKB stick pared with the X-52 throttle wouldn't do.

I got lucky and found a Rhino for sale at a Pilot  Shop in Ohio for retail while it was being gouged for $500+ everywhere else.   I could never find the Warthog in stock.

I'm super happy with the X-56 throttle but I find the stick leaves a lot to be desired.

I probably should've just bought the entire Virpil set since I'm talking myself into it anyway.

Does anyone have any feedback on the rudder pedals?  I'd sure like to either move to Crosswinds or the TRP as well. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

As I said, I have the crosswind and am very happy. I had the thrust master TFRP and ch pro pedals previously. The crosswind blows them both out of the water.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 21, 2021, 02:17:43 PM
As I said, I have the crosswind and am very happy. I had the thrust master TFRP and ch pro pedals previously. The crosswind blows them both out of the water.

How are the Crosswinds on weight and ease of movement?  The reason I'm leaning to the TPR is that I can't mount my setup and I heard the TPR was so heavy on the base and its construction on the pedals was so precise that they can be put on the floor and used as is. 

Right now I'm literally using bricks on my Saitek pedals to anchor them.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

Crosswinds are great, and the dampener addition makes them as good as the slaw pedals that are the gold standard.  Virpils pedals are good too. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 21, 2021, 02:22:00 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 21, 2021, 02:17:43 PM

How are the Crosswinds on weight and ease of movement?  The reason I'm leaning to the TPR is that I can't mount my setup and I heard the TPR was so heavy on the base and its construction on the pedals was so precise that they can be put on the floor and used as is. 

Right now I'm literally using bricks on my Saitek pedals to anchor them.

I'm assuming you mean "weight" and "movement" of the actual unit itself. It is not heavy, but I do not have it mounted either and I do not have any problems when both feet are on the pedals. It might be a little unbalanced though because if only one foot is pedaled, it can become unsteady.

I have mine elevated at an angle on my Next Level Racing flight stand. i have plans to swap the flight stand out for a Monster Tech 8020 flight stand that I have built and just haven't had the time to incorporate into my set-up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

If your worried about urganomics of pedal movement, you could check out the vkb t-pedals.  Their like little levers you push with your feet.  Their on a Hal sensor so their pretty precise.  I still keep mine around as back up, or if I'm on injury recovery as it takes almost no leg movement to work em.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on August 23, 2021, 03:59:10 PM
If your worried about urganomics of pedal movement, you could check out the vkb t-pedals.  Their like little levers you push with your feet.  Their on a Hal sensor so their pretty precise.  I still keep mine around as back up, or if I'm on injury recovery as it takes almost no leg movement to work em.

Just keep in mind, they have no toe brake and geared more toward helos. That was the deciding factor for me. It's an absolute must have feature for my fixed wing flying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Yep, no toe breaks.  The vkb software has a way to make toe brakes with the t-pedals by programming a virtual axis.  But I never use it.  I just bind the brakes to a button on the Hotas if I'm using the VKBs.  The crosswinds are the best, I just like having the VKBs as an option. 

SirAndrewD

Thanks all. 

I think I'm going to end up going with the Crosswinds and use the savings to pass on to the Virpil Stick.  Seems like a setup that'll be an improvement.

SirAndrewD

Ooh boy.  I did it.  Just got my full Virpil Mongoose setup with mount and extender and MFG Crosswinds. 

Haven't told the wife yet.

I can already hear the convo....

"Didn't you just get a new fight stick?"

"Yes, but this one is better"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 26, 2021, 04:29:47 PM
Ooh boy.  I did it.  Just got my full Virpil Mongoose setup with mount and extender and MFG Crosswinds. 

You ordered it, or you got it? If got...that as really fast. Pics when you get everything set-up!

Its such an awesome feeling getting new high-end gear set up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 26, 2021, 04:45:52 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 26, 2021, 04:29:47 PM

You ordered it, or you got it? If got...that as really fast. Pics when you get everything set-up!

Its such an awesome feeling getting new high-end gear set up.

Orderd.  Virpil says their backorder is now only 1-2 weeks so hopefully soon. 

The Crosswinds were in stock so should have them next week. 

I'm going to be doing some DIY Upgrades on my desk setup over the weekend to get ready.  I'll do pics when everything's in. 

Almost surely going to do the Virpil throttle at one point but that one'll get held off for a bit.

Skoop

I got the virpil throttle a couple months ago, it's great but pricey.  It'll last a decade though and has more button and hats you could ever want.  The variable detents is great, you can put one in for the finger lift motion of the f-18, or switch to a centered one for space sims when I play Star Citizen.

SirAndrewD

The wife has approved the Virpil Stick and Crosswinds.

She was honestly red and laughing while I was justifying them to her.