Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^Would be nice, but I don't think it will be before December.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2021, 08:05:13 PM
Well...I did it, and I'm not even sure why. I've been working my ass off and doing pretty well. Guess I just wanted something to show for it, rather than just paying my quarterly tax bill.

You get the WINWING?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 25, 2021, 12:45:21 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2021, 08:05:13 PM
Well...I did it, and I'm not even sure why. I've been working my ass off and doing pretty well. Guess I just wanted something to show for it, rather than just paying my quarterly tax bill.

You get the WINWING?

Yup.

They are hard to get. Winwing does not permit orders when they are out of stock, so the website lists when the product is going to be restocked and then there is a 24 hour countdown. They tend to sell out in minutes, if not seconds. I've been waiting for the libra and Taurus set without the table mounts for weeks. After I placed my order the second they went live, I checked back on the stock and they were already sold out!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2021, 05:25:06 AM
Yup.

They are hard to get. Winwing does not permit orders when they are out of stock, so the website lists when the product is going to be restocked and then there is a 24 hour countdown. They tend to sell out in minutes, if not seconds. I've been waiting for the libra and Taurus set without the table mounts for weeks. After I placed my order the second they went live, I checked back on the stock and they were already sold out!

Sounds like they could benefit from Virpil's backorder system. 

You'll have to tell us your impressions when you get it.  I almost went in that direction over Virpil and VKB but the deciding factor for me was the extension and button layout for the Mongoose. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Redwolf

How is the Mosquito flying?

I have difficulty with the one-engine tail-draggers on the runway. Is this thing reasonably controllable?

Jarhead0331

Federal Express is rocking it. Winwing HOTAS left China on Sunday and it is due for delivery today! I don't even have my mounts from monstertech yet.  :hide:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Wow, congrats!
The thing seems to be pretty huge from the pics I've seen!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Sounds like someone is going to need to unload their Warthog setup soon.   :coolsmiley:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Mounts were delivered too!

Boxes are pretty imposing.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

OMG. It's fucking awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2021, 07:52:44 PM

Big improvement over the Warthog?

Do tell. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 29, 2021, 09:23:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2021, 07:52:44 PM

Big improvement over the Warthog?

Do tell.

I haven't even plugged them in yet, so I haven't flown yet. It is going to take some time to get them mounted onto my new flight stand and get them and my pedals set up and ported over to the rig.

As far as construction and build quality, I'm blown away, and as happy as I was with the Warthog, it is obvious that the Winwing units are far superior. They feel like real aircraft components. Everything is metal and the buttons give great tactile feedback when depressed. The flight panel on the throttle is exceptional too. Between it, the Take-off panel, the combat panel, my MFDs and UFC, I can't imagine what else I would ever need.

I'm still struggling on deciding whether to go with center or side mount for the stick and I really don't want to get rid of my button box which has been exceptionally handy over the years. Like I said, it is just going to take me some time to figure out how I want to configure it all. It is a big change and as excited as I am, I'm finding the idea of replacing the Warthog bittersweet. She has been good to me and still has a lot of life left in her.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rekim

I have my warthog stick centre mounted and a side table to my right for the mouse. Not sure how I could manage DCS with the stick mounted to the right.

How do you interact with the cockpit Jarhead?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rekim on October 01, 2021, 11:58:02 AM
I have my warthog stick centre mounted and a side table to my right for the mouse. Not sure how I could manage DCS with the stick mounted to the right.

How do you interact with the cockpit Jarhead?

I would say my cockpit interactions are 90% with dedicated peripherals. I have UFCs for the F-18 and A-10 and an ICP for the F-16. I also have 3 MFDs, the Winwing Take-off and Combat Ready Panels and a multi-function button box. Of course, I also have the button loaded HOTAS. For anything else, I have a wireless razer mouse with 12 buttons that I have mapped to the function keys. On occasion, I get into Voice Attack and that takes some of the extra key load off. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog