Complete WWII Book

Started by bbmike, November 30, 2013, 09:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Any recommendations for a comprehensive, global history of WWII? I've looked at A World At Arms: A Global History of World War II, Delivered from Evil: The Saga of World War Two, and Churchill's WWII book set. I would prefer a single volume.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grimnirsson

A World At Arms: A Global History of World War II is a book I greatly enjoyed reading - highly recommended!
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

undercovergeek

i really enjoyed History of the Second World War by Liddell Hart

mirth

The Second World War by John Keegan is an excellent overview.

Anthony Beevor also has a new book out covering the entire war. I have not read it yet, but Beevor's work is generally outstanding.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Quote from: mirth on November 30, 2013, 10:17:17 AM
The Second World War by John Keegan is an excellent overview.

Anthony Beevor also has a new book out covering the entire war. I have not read it yet, but Beevor's work is generally outstanding.

Its on my list. Beevor is an excellent author.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

HA did not know this - this coupled with Exodus are my dad's 2 christmas books - phew, always hard to find them

bbmike

Thanks for the recommendations! I decided to go with History of the Second World War
B.H. Liddell Hart after seeing how many maps were included in it.  8)
I'm certain I'll pick up some of the other titles later.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

Score!!!!!!!

You won't regret it

mirth

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 30, 2013, 11:58:55 AM
HA did not know this - this coupled with Exodus are my dad's 2 christmas books - phew, always hard to find them

You are a good son ;-)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Also think about 2,194 Days of War:

http://www.amazon.com/2194-Days-War-Illustrated-Chronology/dp/0831788852/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390089635&sr=8-4&keywords=2194+days+of+war

It's a great book that chronicles the entire war day by day. Some days are, obviously, much longer than others. It's also loaded with lots of maps and photographs. It's a terrific resource as a reference guide, but I admit, I've read through the entire thing.

GDS_Starfury

this one is pretty interesting as it covers more then just the front line.

http://www.amazon.com/Russia-War-1941-1945-Alexander-Werth/dp/0786707224
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.