Alia Latinus Titulus: A Birth of the Federation AAR

Started by BanzaiCat, January 18, 2014, 03:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Question: how does one upgrade the resolution beyond 8x6?

(I've got the All Ages mod, and everything is installed, but it starts at 8x6 and there doesn't seem to be any in-game ability to upscale. None of the ini files seem to offer the option to mod the resolution either.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Are you meaning map size?

8x6 squares is smaller than the 'Small' map size - I just fired my regular All the Ages mod up and this is how they pan out:

Small: 10 x 13
Medium: 16 x 12
Large: 25 x 18

The one I'm running is called "Large All The Ages Mod."

I believe you have to install everything in a certain order in order to take advantage of the mods. There's a multi-installer on the website at http://www.armadafleetcommand.com somewhere. I can't recall which one I used nor where the mod came from, but I know I downloaded everything I needed from this site.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 21, 2014, 07:21:45 PM
Are you meaning map size?

8x6 squares is smaller than the 'Small' map size - I just fired my regular All the Ages mod up and this is how they pan out:

Small: 10 x 13
Medium: 16 x 12
Large: 25 x 18

The one I'm running is called "Large All The Ages Mod."

I believe you have to install everything in a certain order in order to take advantage of the mods. There's a multi-installer on the website at http://www.armadafleetcommand.com somewhere. I can't recall which one I used nor where the mod came from, but I know I downloaded everything I needed from this site.

I think jp means screen resolution

BanzaiCat

Ah. Well, that I'm afraid I don't know.

Mine auto-changes the screen res. Normally mine is 1920x1080, but BotF comes on at a much lower res.

JasonPratt

Yep, I meant screen res. I saw mention of it over at alliance when I picked up the mod, but couldn't quite suss out whether the res mod was included in the ISO and/or the ATA mod.

I'm playing on a large galaxy, and while I'm not where I can check 25x18 seems right (based on what I recall seeing when I pulled up the larger map view). I didn't think I dl'd something called "Large All The Ages", but maybe I did.  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

I'm not sure of the exact size of the Large All The Ages map, but I think it's 52-53 sectors wide, so it's just a bit more than twice the size of a 'regular' Large galaxy map.

JasonPratt

More like 6-1/8 times as large!

Well dang, then I had better look into that pronto!  :D (I haven't really 'started' my first turn yet, so I'm not losing anything.)

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 21, 2014, 06:08:35 PM
Question: how does one upgrade the resolution beyond 8x6?

(I've got the All Ages mod, and everything is installed, but it starts at 8x6 and there doesn't seem to be any in-game ability to upscale. None of the ini files seem to offer the option to mod the resolution either.)
Unfortunately, BOTF is locked in at 800x600 resolution.  :(  In terms of visuals, it's probably the game's single biggest/worst limitation. 

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 22, 2014, 10:11:48 AM
I'm not sure of the exact size of the Large All The Ages map, but I think it's 52-53 sectors wide, so it's just a bit more than twice the size of a 'regular' Large galaxy map.
With most mods that have a "large map" version (note that not every mod has one), the largest map size is 52x39 sectors.  In contrast, the largest map size for vanilla BOTF (and mods without a large map version) is 25x18 sectors. 

Doing the math, that works out to the super-large maps being approximately 4 1/2 times the size of "regular" large maps.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

I'm bad at math, which is why I was an English major. I was thinking the width was twice the 'normal' BotF, which is where I got my reasoning from.

Y'all know what y'all kin do wit your fancy mathing, right?

Anguille

BanzaiCat

Hi Anguille...it's actually been moved to the front page now. Thanks for the compliment!

Anguille

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 04, 2014, 12:28:14 PM
Hi Anguille...it's actually been moved to the front page now. Thanks for the compliment!
Thanks!

besilarius

Banzai, this is really enjoyable.  Thanks for putting all the work into it.
Does not seem like you have named the President yet.  Might one suggest that a nearly perfect match would be President Rufus T. Firefly of the Republic of Freedonia?  Along with his inimitable, and vicarious, aide, Captain Spaulding.
It would be Duckky.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.