Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on December 14, 2016, 08:33:10 PM
Act of War (2005) is the original title before Wargame.  It was very good. Not typical as Jarhead stated.
The latest iteration after Wargame is Act of Aggression (2015).

I didn't play Act Of War very long, so it may not have been another Command & Conquer or Age Of Empires style game.  Just struck me that way in my short time.

demjansk1942

I wish this game had the option of turns like Battlefront games with a We Go system

Did they offer a slower fix for all three games?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: demjansk1942 on December 18, 2016, 01:59:31 PM
I wish this game had the option of turns like Battlefront games with a We Go system

Did they offer a slower fix for all three games?

Yes. There is a trainer that lets you set game speed for both European Escalation and ALB.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

demjansk1942

undercovergeek

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on December 13, 2016, 02:57:16 PM
Really wish they would have done a WW2 Wargame instead of Act of Aggression. It would have sold like hotcakes and gotten much better reviews.

Apart from ruse does anyone know the nearest game to a ww2 red dragon?

And it's not company of heroes  :P

Pete Dero

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 24, 2017, 07:59:05 AM
Quote from: AchillesLastStand on December 13, 2016, 02:57:16 PM
Really wish they would have done a WW2 Wargame instead of Act of Aggression. It would have sold like hotcakes and gotten much better reviews.

Apart from ruse does anyone know the nearest game to a ww2 red dragon?

And it's not company of heroes  :P

Theatre of War series http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14301/
Graviteam Tactics series  http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Graviteam
Men of War series http://store.steampowered.com/sub/47303/
Blitzkrieg 3 ? http://store.steampowered.com/app/235380/
Officers  ?  http://www.matrixgames.com/products/367/details/Officers.-.The.Matrix.Edition

Jarhead0331

I've been playing this game again and I forgot how absolutely totally friggin' awesome it is. I've got to say the entire Wargame series is actually my childhood dream game come true...seriously, I used to play with little toy soldiers that I took out of a box. This is basically that, with awesome details, graphics and sound. I love seizing and holding objectives and then calling in CAS to rain fire down on platoons of enemy soldiers. The destruction left in the wake of battle is also fantastic. You can tell how intense a battle was by looking at how badly scarred the terrain is.

Just an outstanding game all around.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 07, 2021, 09:00:19 PM
I've been playing this game again and I forgot how absolutely totally friggin' awesome it is. I've got to say the entire Wargame series is actually my childhood dream game come true...

Referring to Wargame: Red Dragon?

I bought the Theater of War series on sale,but never downloaded it. Is it similar? All of these games look similar in the ads and I get really confused. The only one I ever played a bit was Mius Front. Oh and I really played the original Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord a bit back in the early 2000s. Since then so many look-alikes came out that I got overwhelmed and gave up figuring out which one was "best".
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Destraex

Theatre of War is NOT similar to Red Dragon at all.
Theatre of war is more like a clunky 3D version of close combat.
Combat Mission I suppose is a more realistic but clunkier version of close combat in 3D.
Red Dragon's main differences are that it is a cold war setting and that you can zoom out to the clouds or in to see a soldiers face almost instantly seeing everything in between along the way.
Red Dragon also involves bringing in forces with points as the battle progresses.

Solops what kind of game are you after exactly?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

demjansk1942

This game was free the other day on Epic.  Not sure if the week ended for the freebie

steve58

Quote from: demjansk1942 on March 08, 2021, 05:48:21 AM
This game was free the other day on Epic.  Not sure if the week ended for the freebie

Still free until this Thursday ~11am.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Destraex

Destraex

Man there are so many things I feel horrible about in the interface for red dragon vs sd2.

Jarhead0331

I don't think it is fair to compare the two games...at least, not with respect to things like UI, mechanics, etc. There is like 4 to 5 years of development time between the two games. I have no complaints about the Red Dragon interface whatsoever. Whatever it has works for me. I only wish they could figure out how to make the rewind feature work in the replays.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2021, 07:24:34 AM
I don't think it is fair to compare the two games...at least, not with respect to things like UI, mechanics, etc. There is like 4 to 5 years of development time between the two games. I have no complaints about the Red Dragon interface whatsoever. Whatever it has works for me. I only wish they could figure out how to make the rewind feature work in the replays.

Difference # 3 : planes are handled differently

The game doesn't handle the planes differently regarding speed but ww2 planes are slower than modern planes !
It seems to me he knows little about the equipment in ww2 and looks at this as choices the game designer made instead of accepting the game tries to reflect reality.