Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 18, 2014, 03:48:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 18, 2014, 01:18:46 PM
if speed was your problem with the first two, you will find that Red Dragon is a drastic improvement with the speed settings.

Speed was definitely the biggest obstacle with getting into Wargame EE for me.  Way too fast for my aging reflexes.

I checked out some YouTube let's plays for RD -- and it still seems to play really fast.  Course, the guys playing may have just been ninjas.  But if it's typical of RD then no way I can dive in.

Just so I'm clear though:  Red Dragon offers a slower speed feature that was not present in EE or ALB?

Read page 1 of this thread starting at reply #7. I can't make it any clearer than that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Thanks -- exactly what i was looking for (and somehow managed to miss...)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 18, 2014, 04:31:46 PM
Thanks -- exactly what i was looking for (and somehow managed to miss...)

Seriously, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Buy!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

I'm about to cave.  I couldn't hack it with EE, and skipped ALB, but this seems too tempting to pass up...

Apocalypse 31

Zero income games mixed with user-made AI decks is OUTSTANDING

mikeck

Love it. I feel like "slow" is still too fast so I play at "very slow" and it's perfect. I wish you could give orders while paused though. As I was trying to get my tanks to go across the bridge, I looked up and all 3 helicopters were gone. While I sat there trying to order my TOW armed M113  up in support (since my TOW armed AH-1s were gone) my tanks came under fire. By the time I hit back and situated, it was done.

I guess I just have to get used to multitasking. When I needed my F-15s most, I couldn't find a button to call them in! Earlier it was there with a card with F-15s on it next to a card with A-10s on it (I purchased both) but then it disappeared . How do I call in my fighters?

Graphics and sound are too notch and it looks like it will be a fun game. It isn't combat mission but it doesn't try to be.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 18, 2014, 08:15:00 PM
Love it. I feel like "slow" is still too fast so I play at "very slow" and it's perfect. I wish you could give orders while paused though. As I was trying to get my tanks to go across the bridge, I looked up and all 3 helicopters were gone. While I sat there trying to order my TOW armed M113  up in support (since my TOW armed AH-1s were gone) my tanks came under fire. By the time I hit back and situated, it was done.

I guess I just have to get used to multitasking. When I needed my F-15s most, I couldn't find a button to call them in! Earlier it was there with a card with F-15s on it next to a card with A-10s on it (I purchased both) but then it disappeared . How do I call in my fighters?

Graphics and sound are too notch and it looks like it will be a fun game. It isn't combat mission but it doesn't try to be.

You can give orders in bullet time. Its as close to being paused that you can get without actually freezing time.

Whenever I order fixed-wing support, they are all always on the same support card on the left side of the screen like before.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DennisS

When they have the balance issues of the naval forces sorted out, can you'all let us know here?

I like the concept, but I am a little leery of the massed ship auto-win, or so I've read.

GDS_Starfury

for me pre-battle deployments are probably the most important element to avoid task overload.  I found this to be true in both EE and ALB.  a well thought out ground plan lets you concentrate on properly using your air assets which really do need to be micro managed.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FlickJax

Just bought using the 20% discount this weekend on GMG.

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 18, 2014, 08:17:42 PM

You can give orders in bullet time. Its as close to being paused that you can get without actually freezing time.

Whenever I order fixed-wing support, they are all always on the same support card on the left side of the screen like before.

Yeah the problem was the card did not appear on the left-hand side of the screen like before. I hit something that made it disappear so I'm trying to figure out what to get to make it comeback. I'll find the key somewhere in the instructions eventually

Edit: orders during "bullet time"...makes sense, thanks
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Great Ajax

Even though I love the series, I hadn't delved too much into Red Dragon because I really didn't see how it was much different than ALB.  I knew there was naval stuff but it really just looked like ALB in Asia.  ALB had campaign modes but they didn't really take with me.  You could only have a single unit in a sector and the strategic options were kind of bare, etc.  I booted up Red Dragon and just checked out the Kurile Islands Soviet Campaign and I have to admit that the campaign has an impressive amount of strategic options with numerous choices for 'buyable' support.  The integration of on-map air support, naval support, airborne troops, marines, and ground forces is really cool and you can now have multiple units in each sector. 

The other issue I had with the game was that any battle larger than a small two player game was unmanageable for me as I had no idea what was going on.  Just moving the speed of the game down one notch had a tremendous impact on gameplay.  Looking forward to trying some more of this over the weekend.

Trey 

GDS_Starfury

you could have multiple units in a sector in ALB but they would fight sequentially.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

RyanE

Correct me if I'm wrong...the terrain is no longer just flat like in the previous games.  Is that correct?