Plagiarism and YouTube

Started by al_infierno, December 04, 2023, 11:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

A YouTuber named hbomberguy put out a fascinating ~4 hour documentary dissecting the practice of plagiarism in YouTube video essays.  The video provides extensive evidence of plagiarism in successful YouTube channels and includes some fascinating analysis of the thought process of a plagiarist, how they work, and how they try to cover their tracks or make excuses when they're caught.

It's not a quick watch by any means, but it's divided up into digestible 1-ish hour chunks.  I'm not familiar at all with any of the YouTubers who are called out in the video, but anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, etc. can gain a lot from the insights presented here.

Though I will admit the last 2-ish hours of the video that focus on a certain guy called James Somerton kinda dissolved into noise at a certain point when it became abundantly clear he plagiarized a shitton of his videos.  The first two hours and the conclusion are absolutely worth the time though.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

YouTube does have a lot of crap channels but there are some real gems on there as well.'Users gotta shop around.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd