Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Watching the first episode of To The Lake right now...very good. Super hawt womenz. If I weren't so sick of Russians and pandemics and sick Russians, I would love it even more. Will definitely watch it to the end.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sigwolf

I just watched the whole series today... really well done, but a lousy way to end it.  IMDB does indicate they are making series 2 right now, so hopefully Netflix will continue to carry it.

edit... and I just saw that Netflix suspended all productions in Russia last week.  Don't know if To The Lake is included in that, but even if series 2 does finish production it doesn't appear Netflix will carry it any time soon.

Toonces

^ I just finished it.  I thought there were 9 episodes, so through the whole last episode I was thinking there was one more.  Damn, what a cliff-hanger ending!

This show was simply fantastic.  I enjoyed it thoroughly, and there was none of that "why in the world did that character do that?" nonsense like you see in some shows; like that commercial where the kids all decide to hide from the killer in the shed full of axes and such.  Everything seemed plausible to me.

I sure hope there's a season 2 at some point.  The premise is fantastic, the acting is solid, and man alive, Ira is exactly my type!   :smitten:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Just finished all 4 seasons of Ozark on Netflix.  Very, very highly recommended.  If you liked Breaking Bad you'll like Ozark.  It's about a guy who launders money for a Mexican Cartel, but ends up getting in way, way over his head, similar to BB. 

There's a part 2 to season 4 due to drop soon, so while the series isn't yet complete, it should be soon.  I can't imagine a season 5 with the way things are progressing.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^+1 for Ozark. And if you can't get enough Jason Bateman, try his SmartLess podcast with him, Wil Arnett and Sean   Hayes. Absolutley great interviews with all kinds of people like Dave Grohl, Eddie Vedder, Paul McCartney and a lot of others.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

Watched the first episode of Moon Knight....

ArizonaTank

Interesting movie about Admiral Yamamoto's attempt to stop spending on super-battleships instead of aircraft carriers.

The story is fictionalized, but still interesting if you have interest in the WWII Japanese Navy. But for those looking for more generic WWII fare...probably not worth catching.

The movie is "The Great War of Archimedes" and is available for free (with commercials) on the Tubi streaming service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEKvvgycUA
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Just finished all six episodes of "The English" on Prime.

Interesting BBC take on the Old West.

The series is part BBC drama, part Spaghetti Western...complete with a bad guy who fires a Gatling Gun from his horse.

Here is the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oran1axPKuI

Great photography, locations, acting and script. Plenty of blood, gunfights, and knife fights. Some might find character development a bit much. By that I mean a lot of long philosophical bantering between characters from time to time; kind of like a Tarantino movie. The main characters are likeable and the bad guys are pretty bad.

My wife loved it. I liked it.

I think it is a good one to watch with your significant other. A nicely done platonic love story with tear-jerking ending.

The story seems disjointed, hard-to-follow and strange at first...but it all gets tied up nicely in the end. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Toonces

I watched a very good movie on a streaming service called "Crackle" last night.  Midnight Express.

It's based on a true story about an American kid, early 20's, who gets busted in Turkey trying to smuggle hash to the U.S.  He gets thrown into a Turkish prison, and they decide to "make an example of him."  A very young Randy Quaid is in it as well.

I had heard of it years ago, but never watched it until I randomly came across it.  I highly recommend it.

Gusington

One of the best quotes/skits from Cable Guy is from Midnight Express...'Oh Billy!!!'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd