Campaign Series: Vietnam * Battle of Landing Zone Albany as NVA * 11/17/1965

Started by Crossroads, January 09, 2022, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

That's turn 6 done, then. Thoughts, observations, questions, comments?  :smiley6600:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Moving on!

Turn #7 of 12 - Tide is turning...

Here's another busy screenshot with how things stand out after having watched the US replay for turn #7. Gunships! It is getting hot here.

As for the replay itself, two 105mm batteries continued to drop their greetings on top of my men, after which further Direct Fire caused a total of 2 step losses for the North Vietnamese Army.

Not so bad as such, but Big Ivan's also making sure he has suppressing Direct Fire at my most threatening units enough time so they'd become / remain Disrupted.

One of the neat details for the upgunned Fog of War options here is that with current settings, you can't see which enemy unit is Disrupted, and which one is not, anymore. I love that, things are much more, err, foggy, in this war now!

Oh, but those gunships are about to turn this into a slaughter. Two light reckes with four flights of gunships. That's a lot of grief heading this way!

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Keeping the intel from my men however I command them to keep closing down the US troops in front of them.

For the friendly Artillery phase, I observe my Indirect Fire hit their designated marks, no visible damage, no retreats, but maybe some scored hits too?

Also, as the Concealment die rolls are made per unit, I now get a better look at that Ridge position they are holding: Commander, first, and after the Op Fire gets back at me, (at least) one Rifle Platoon, too.

I move one company to that Ridgeline as well, pepper both positions with Direct Fire, and having considered the options, decide to call for another (weaker than what I would like) Assault on their main position.

Resolve Assault - no advance, two step losses for my attacking Rifle platoons. Oh well. Gotta keep at'em. No option. People's Army allows no retreat!

Crossroads

Another busy screenshot for the end of play NVA turn #7 as well.

At west, I am moving my little diversion back towards the LZ Albany Objective, while put some movement arrows here to remind me to spread out more come next turn.

It will be nasty though, the US forces are truly alerted now for NVA presence: Artillery support from the Firebase, Gunships, Close Air Support, it will get brutal next!

At the end, I took four step losses this turn against their two, so am keeping my advantage on Kill Ratio. No further Event point awards / penalties this turn, but the Objective hex keeps adding Objective points for them.

File sent! It sure look likes my "LZ Albany" window of opportunity is closing down, and "LZ X-Ray" window of opportunity is opening for them. Broken Arrow?

Crossroads

NVA Turn #8 of 12 - Enter the Huey Hog

Yikes. So. Watched the US replay for their Turn #8.

Artillery, spot on again.

[Side note: the high standard of US artillery is modelled in Adaptive AI. Much less chances for US fire missions drifting.]

No Close Air Support missions this time around, either. That's what the SMEAC says as well: Get at them! Mind the Hogs. B-52 missions were a general historical comment, not in SMEAC.

I am replaying my role as a shaken NVA commander after how it played out just previously at LZ X-RAY. As it happened, I watched "We Were Soldiers" just a few weeks ago.

Rest of replay: Hogs appeared, did their damage. I had saved a couple of MMG missions to them but no hits. They certainly got me.

Here's the sitrep:

• The Good : All my Disrupted units recovered. They are getting angry! Good good.
  • The Bad: They scored another 100 Event Points, likely for again holding LZ Albany objective for four consecutive turns. That is hurting me badly, I am not filling my mission here.
  • The Ugly: None. Good fun so far!

I switched to Unit Images on Counters option for a change. I have a good idea what's out there, I don't need the NATO symbol intel that badly now.

Crossroads

Then, things got interesting.

So let us spend a bit more time here. My plan was to spread out more come this turn, so starting with the western edge, let us start to threaten LZ Albany, again.

I have two units there, a SP3 (three strength points) Rifle platoon, and a SP6 Rifle platoon.

Expecting Op Fire, I moved the weaker one in first. Not a shot. Are they spent? Did they not see such a small unit approaching? More SPs in a hex, more likely they are seen.

And true enough, I move my SP6 platoon there, they are op fired, resulting in a Retreat. Rats.

Interestingly enough, as their Op Fire revealed the defending unit, I fired at it with the remaining SP3 platoon, and the US unit there scored a Retreat dieroll!

I got some Op Fire back from the adjacent hex, with no results. So another unit there.

But: is the objective now empty? Let us try to find out!

Crossroads

I toggled "Movement Range = ON" - see the "Range" toolbar icon group.

Great, I can move there even without doubletiming anyone. From two hexes, even!

So here's the plan:

• Ensure the US stack I have had problems for several turns now is out of Op Fire, by suppressing it with my Fire Support units.
  • Then, move out unhindered from the two hexes into the Objective (if empty!).
Only possible, if the defending stack is out of Op Fire. Gamey? No, this is how suppressing fire works at this level. Pin them down first, they do want to respond to that, then move out with other units.

Firing at them, I get Op Fire back, no effect. As usual per Fog of War rules, I don't know if I hit him. I did cycle through all his units on that stack, though.

Charge!... and the "empty" hex fires back. Opportunity fire. There's someone there, I just don't see him.

Crossroads

Time to prepare for the inevitable US next phase, then.

I am moving my MMG platoons to a sector just out of line of sight of the US units out there. I have four MMG units, plenty of Op Fire to fire back!

Double check: yes, Opportunity Fire at Helicopters set at Medium range. With a firing range of 5 hexes (1250 meters) for my MMGs, Medium range will fire at them at two, three hex distance.

That by the way includes both the distance of the hex a helo is at, and then its flight level:

• Helo, two hexes from me, Nap of Earth: 2 hex firing distance
  • Helo, two hexes from me, Low: 3 hex firing distance
  • Helo, two hexes from me, High: 4 hex firing distance

Light arms Fire results at High level are penalised, so don't want to fire at that height anyway. Should be a good setup. Wish I had SAMs, they excel at High flight level!

Anti-aircraft setup I have is pictured Highlighted with selecting the AA NATO symbol from Toolbar Highlights group. There's plenty of higlight options, from Anti-tank to Engineers to Disrupted or Fixed units, the lot.

That's the end-of-play situation.

Spread out, no overstacking anywhere (more than 12SP in a hex), hoping desperately to down a gunship or three next turn!

Crossroads

End of Play NVA Turn #8

With the losses I've taken, it is getting hot here. I did take out some US strength as well, so not too bad when it comes to Kill Ratio itself.

See the Event points, though. If the US Event Points Reward is indeed 100 Event Points per holding LZ Albany for four consecutive turns, I need to do something about that!

Also: the US Side A player is often heavily penalised for losing Helicopter crews out there, so there's that to possibly increase my Event Points stack.

File sent to John / Big Ivan.

"Oh, gunships. So that's why I have these MANPAD units!"

Gotta try!

Crossroads

Apologies, Real Life hit me like a flight of Phantoms with a napalm load  :crazy2: 

Here goes again!

Crossroads

NVA Turn #9

QuoteApologies, Real Life hit me like a flight of Phantoms with a napalm load

That jinxed it, maybe not Phantoms but A-4s at least, followed by Hogs doing their damage. My air defense setup of MMG sections did their best, they are firing at three hex distance with Medium Op Fire setting, maybe that's too far.

But who's counting casualties anyway.

To add an injury to all other injuries during this replay, my mortar park remains unavailable. On a positive, managed to have many units recover from Disrupt status.

Crossroads

To get back at hurting them, too, I have another go at their defensive setup at the Objective.

First, move in with two new platoons, take opfire, fire at them, hopefully some hits! Not a text book assault this time either, but I did pound that hex first.

And what do you know! First, commendations from the HQ - thank you very much, I never doubted this (ha!) - and a boost to morale too as an Event - much needed!

Crossroads

With the morale boost still fresh in their minds, adrenaline running, let us take that ridge top as well! Charge!

No.

No friendly losses though, it might have been a close one!

Crossroads

NVA End of Turn #9

Here's a busy screenshot again, this time in 3D Zoom-in View to appreciate the tactical situation here better. Not many men standing at this stage, anymore...

I am assuming the US side took a -100 EP penalty for losing their ride to home with the LZ, while the kill ratio is even enough to cause some US consternation. Let us try to keep this up!

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on February 08, 2022, 06:38:13 AM

I am assuming the US side took a -100 EP penalty for losing their ride to home with the LZ, while the kill ratio is even enough to cause some US consternation. Let us try to keep this up!

See that, I did not tell in my report I took 15SP worth of losses that turn. Hush, no need to bother the High Command with unnecessary details  :timeout: