World at War 85 - Blood and Fury coming soon to a Gamefound near you

Started by Crossroads, July 13, 2022, 07:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Lock'n Load's second entry to their revived World at War series is nearing its completion it seems:

https://gamefound.com/projects/lnlp/blood-and-fury

While I've not played Storming the Gap nearly as much as I would have liked, I guess this is another of those "take my money please" games I just can't pass.

:dreamer:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

And it's on!

Managed to squeeze in among one of the first 100 backers for the base game Early Bird Special. Added the Operation Gauntlet for crossing the Weser as well.

And while typing this, we're already at 104 backers and the first strectch goal opened in a bit I am sure.

---aaand:

FUNDED in fifteen minutes  :bd:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

This is it for me, I believe. Until they launch the Arab-Israeli Wars edition, of course  :nerd: :bd:

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Crossroads

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 25, 2022, 01:56:42 PM
how is russian turret tossing handled?

That's stretch goal #2, Flight Stands. Goal unlocked, too. How you use them is once you score a one step hit to a tank having ammunition stowage inside the turret, you put it to Flight Stand. Second hit, you remove it from the game, as the full platoon is considered completely evaporated.

Their picture erroneously shows a helo at a Flight Stand. Hope they fix their images soon:

Grim.Reaper

Little out of my comfort zone for boardgames...although tempted.  Would only play solo and not if it will be too complicated for that.

Crossroads

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 25, 2022, 04:46:26 PM
Little out of my comfort zone for boardgames...although tempted.  Would only play solo and not if it will be too complicated for that.
There is a solo assistant included in the game. As for complexity, well that depends I guess. While they've added to original WaW ruleset the basic game remains quite simple and fast. If you start with a basic scenario with basic units, it is not that complex at all imho.

Add new unit types and capabilties it gets more and more complex, of course, but you should be able to pick and choose your scenarios in a manner it evolves in a way you can keep up.

As a bonus the rules and scenarios can be ported to minuatures play, there's a conversion table in a form of a unit card to each unit type.

Here's a rather good discussion and comparison to other games from BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2411651/world-war-85-storming-gap-all-over-again

As a personal comment I quite like the system for the fictious WW3 setting, while the same rule set for historical battles in WW2 under the Nations at War series doesn't cut it as much for me. Go figure.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Crossroads on July 26, 2022, 02:57:03 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 25, 2022, 04:46:26 PM
There is a solo assistant included in the game. As for complexity, well that depends I guess. While they've added to original WaW ruleset the basic game remains quite simple and fast. If you start with a basic scenario with basic units, it is not that complex at all imho.

Add new unit types and capabilties it gets more and more complex, of course, but you should be able to pick and choose your scenarios in a manner it evolves in a way you can keep up.

As a bonus the rules and scenarios can be ported to minuatures play, there's a conversion table in a form of a unit card to each unit type.

Here's a rather good discussion and comparison to other games from BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2411651/world-war-85-storming-gap-all-over-again

As a personal comment I quite like the system for the fictious WW3 setting, while the same rule set for historical battles in WW2 under the Nations at War series doesn't cut it as much for me. Go figure.

Thanks for the info.  Just saw they are releasing a PC version of this series, think I will give that a shot first since likely would minimize the complexity and cost:)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1960300/World_At_War_85_Digital_Core_Game/

Crossroads

Their WW2 Nations at War early access game is there as well, and has been for a couple of years. Check it out here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1226000/Nations_At_War_Digital_Core_Game/

I bought it out at the time it game out, built on some java platform or something like that iirc. They've since made a decision apparently (and a good one at that) to move the game to Unity engine, it is more slick now. Hopefully both games come out soon.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Crossroads on July 26, 2022, 09:17:48 AM
Their WW2 Nations at War early access game is there as well, and has been for a couple of years. Check it out here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1226000/Nations_At_War_Digital_Core_Game/

I bought it out at the time it game out, built on some java platform or something like that iirc. They've since made a decision apparently (and a good one at that) to move the game to Unity engine, it is more slick now. Hopefully both games come out soon.

Thanks, yep I own all their PC games.  Haven't played that game much since seemed slow progress but will try again somedays. 

Ubercat

Is "orc" the new jap, kraut, nip etc? Just curious as I've been seeing it thrown around a lot lately.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Russian military, to be precise. I modified my post to reflect the fact this is not a casual comment but a very  :nerd: serious rule amendment proposal, where the jack-in-the-box turrets do not reflect armies, but technical features.

Quoteonce you score a one step hit to a tank having ammunition stowage inside the turret, ...

Sorry.

Yskonyn

As I went all-in on the first module, I couldn't pass on this one.
The first one was a crazy good deal with all the stuff you got. I can remember one of the devs stating that it was a pretty bad deal for themselves at the end and they wouldn't go overboard like that again.

This second project seems a lot more constrained indeed. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Crossroads

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 27, 2022, 12:04:34 PM
As I went all-in on the first module, I couldn't pass on this one.
The first one was a crazy good deal with all the stuff you got. I can remember one of the devs stating that it was a pretty bad deal for themselves at the end and they wouldn't go overboard like that again.

This second project seems a lot more constrained indeed. :)
Indeed, I felt almost embarrassed to receive all those goodies for a few tenners. That said, this one is not too shabby either with spiral bound core rules and companion books as stretch goals. From their store those two (for StG) are almost a C note alone.

Let us see if they indeed decide to add a few stretch goals more as they've been publicly contemplating. Can't think of anything I'd actually want, this is a pretty good deal as it is.