Main Menu

Surprise!

Started by GDS_Starfury, February 02, 2023, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

There's been chatter about high alt balloons being used for EMP delivery as well.  Could be a case of brinksmanship. 

https://stratocat.com.ar/stratopedia/11.htm

W8taminute

I've heard the same chatter SDR regarding balloons and EMP delivery system.

https://marfooglenews.com/2023/02/03/23098/

Again isn't it funny that people are going around saying balloons have been spying on countries since the beginning of time.  Finger pointing, blaming other administrations, excuses, instead of acting immediately and decisively.  Does anyone remember what happened to that US airfoce surveillance plane that was forced to land in mainland china in the late nineties or was it around 2000?  The Chinese made a big deal of it yelling loudly for all the world to hear.  They even inspected the plane and no doubt learned a thing or two about our tech.  And we did nothing. 

Why is it ok for some countries to literally get away with murder and not for others? 

Forgive me but something stinks about this whole affair.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

steve58

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 06, 2023, 02:05:47 PMThere's been chatter about high alt balloons being used for EMP delivery as well.  Could be a case of brinksmanship. 

https://stratocat.com.ar/stratopedia/11.htm

I've heard the same...and toss in using the balloons as bio-weapon and drone deployment platforms.  :tickedoff:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

...scuse me while I go clean the soda off my monitor.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

:ROFL:  They must've gotten the idea from, "The Prisoner", Rover the balloon monster-thing that always got No. 6 back to the Village.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I immediately thought of Rover, too!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I saw confirmation this evening that what tracked the balloon were U2s. There's probably a musical pun or video to be made there somewhere...

Meanwhile, from an Epoch Times article a few minutes ago:

QuoteChinese state-owned television aired footage of a high-altitude balloon dropping hypersonic weapons in 2018.

The stunning footage displays a high-altitude balloon, not dissimilar from the one that traversed over the United States last week, carrying three hypersonic glide vehicles (HGVs) into high altitude and dropping them for testing.

Chinese state broadcaster CCTV reported on the weapons test in September 2018. The footage has since been deleted from Chinese media, but photographs and short clips can still be found online.

In one post from 2018, a Twitter user shared footage from Douyin, China's version of TikTok, which shows the balloon lifting the three HGVs from the ground.

HGVs are generally launched by rockets in a similar manner to traditional missiles. Upon reaching orbit, however, HGVs detach from the rocket and fly through the atmosphere using their own momentum.

Such weapons are much faster than other missiles while they are in low orbit, but become much slower upon hitting the dense air of the atmosphere as they have no jets to power them. The three HGVs dropped by the balloon in the footage appear to have been designed to test this phenomenon.

The balloon-dropped HGVs were part of an effort to develop precision warheads for hypersonic weapons, which would give the Chinese military an "unstoppable nuclear-capable weapon," according to the South China Morning Post.

Paul Crespo, president of the Center for American Defense Studies, said that the balloon which traversed U.S. airspace this week could "absolutely" be a dry run for an attack using a balloon-mounted weapon, but that hypersonic missiles would likely not be a first choice for China's communist regime.

"While China has tested hypersonic missiles launched from balloons in the past, that isn't a likely use for these airships," Crespo told The Epoch Times in an email. "The biggest threat is sending one or more of these high altitude balloons over the U.S. with a small nuclear EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) device."

"Detonated at extremely high altitude, they could knock out power and communications across the US, wreaking widespread havoc for a year or more without firing a shot on the ground."

Though Crespo did not believe that balloon-dropped hypersonics would be the next big thing in a nuclear conflict, the HGVs dropped in the footage may well have contributed to the development of the hypersonic weapon system secretly tested by China in 2021.

That system, then-Vice Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. John Hyten said, appeared to be intended for a "first-use" nuclear strike against the United States.

"They look like a first-use weapon," Hyten said.

"The pace [China is] moving and the trajectory that they're on will surpass Russia and the United States if we don't do something to change it."

Communist China is not alone in developing novel ways to use high-altitude balloons as weapons of war.

The United States has researched and tested the use of such balloons for deploying swarms of explosive-laden suicide drones since at least 2018.

The Pentagon is also investing tens of millions of dollars into high-altitude balloons that it intends to use for surveillance and, notably, hopes to use to track the CCP's hypersonic arsenal.

The Epoch Times has requested comment from the White House and Pentagon.

(Andrew Thornebrooke reporting)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

The eventual F-22 should have goggles and an aviator cap, and a bushy tail.

Sir Slash

As if things aren't Badenov already.  :grin:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

This Newsweek article (which is partly an op-ed, as might be expected), argues from the saga's details so far that China's leadership regards itself as embarrassed by the balloon incident, which at least key parts of the upper government didn't expect to happen even though there was obvious intentionality in the craft's behavior.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-the-chinese-spy-balloon-is-a-huge-embarrassment-for-beijing/ar-AA17eEvA?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=9747b03c817141d2a69ecadeaf8f2d5a

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 08, 2023, 09:51:52 AMthat China's leadership regards itself as embarrassed by the balloon incident

If there's one thing they should be ashamed of, it's their choice of camouflage color for the balloon  :uglystupid2: .

JasonPratt

It's camouflaged as a weather balloon!  :Nerd:

....or as the bottom of AOC's "Eat The Rich" wealthy ball dress.  :evil:

(Actually, if the CCP had blazoned that communist motto in red English letters across the white surface, I'd give a lot of respect to them on style points at least.)

W8taminute

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 07, 2023, 11:15:03 PMAs if things aren't Badenov already.  :grin:

I saw what you did there  :laugh:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: W8taminute on February 08, 2023, 11:42:20 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 07, 2023, 11:15:03 PMAs if things aren't Badenov already.  :grin:

I saw what you did there  :laugh:

I'm not disPutin' it, either.