Main Menu

So... Arnold

Started by GDS_Starfury, March 08, 2023, 07:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

I really love this guy!

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Guilty conscience, perhaps? Do we really need to be lectured about the Holocaust by a guy whose father swore allegiance to the Nazi Party and who was an early member of the Sturmabteilung serving on the Eastern Front?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

I've found Arnold to be a thoughtful and provocative speaker on multiple occasions, including this one.  I appreciate the tone of his message, and I appreciate how directly he addresses his own conflicted heritage (in this video and others). 

Both as a movie star and then as a politician, Arnold was a professional actor, so I take everything he says now with a grain of salt.  But I found nothing in that message to object to.  The same thing's been true of the last few videos I've seen of him in recent years.

You can complain about the messenger if you want, but you ought to watch the video and see if there's anything in his message that you disagree with.  I'd be a little surprised if there is.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 08, 2023, 08:19:03 PMI've found Arnold to be a thoughtful and provocative speaker on multiple occasions, including this one.  I appreciate the tone of his message, and I appreciate how directly he addresses his own conflicted heritage (in this video and others). 

Both as a movie star and then as a politician, Arnold was a professional actor, so I take everything he says now with a grain of salt.  But I found nothing in that message to object to.  The same thing's been true of the last few videos I've seen of him in recent years.

You can complain about the messenger if you want, but you ought to watch the video and see if there's anything in his message that you disagree with.  I'd be a little surprised if there is.

I watched it. It's a nice message, but Arnold is a good actor, and as someone who is a grand child of a survivor and a child of a mother who was born in a DP camp in Germany in 1946, I don't need to take my education on the holocaust from someone who is a child of a father who played a role in it.

The sins of the father...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I know about his father, and I appreciate him doing this. 1/3 of my family was wiped out in the Holocaust.

Arnold doesn't have to do this and he does anyway. I respect that. His message is solid.

"I don't want you to be a loser.' Nice.  :ThumbsUp:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

I have a chunk of extended family wiped out as well.  this isn's about that and he clearly says he isn't speaking to people like us. he's speaking to people that aren't us.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

True, I suppose he isn't speaking to us.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

My Paternal great uncle fought in the Italian Army in WW2 before being captured in Libya and spending the rest of the war in a POW camp.  My Italian immigrant grandmother was (wrongly) interred in a concentration camp in the US as well.   I'm allowed to still dislike fascism I feel. 

Arnold isn't accountable for his father's actions he's his own person.  If anything let him fight against what his father did to atone.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2023, 09:08:31 PMI have a chunk of extended family wiped out as well.  this isn's about that and he clearly says he isn't speaking to people like us. he's speaking to people that aren't us.

That's fair.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

I wish he had included as examples of the Hate he speaks of ISIS, Rwanda, Al Queda, and Communism maybe? Lots of good examples this day and time. Unfortunately.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Groggy

It's a good and reflective video. Hopefully family and friends send it to loved ones who have been radicalized by the far right and have gone deep in the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories. I'd like to think his message will breakthrough to some.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GroggyGrognard2022 on March 09, 2023, 09:39:23 AMIt's a good and reflective video. Hopefully family and friends send it to loved ones who have been radicalized by the far right and have gone deep in the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories. I'd like to think his message will breakthrough to some.

This is exactly why we can't have these conversations and post things like this video that arguably bear a universally acceptable message. What the hell does "far right" mean? How is that defined? I'm a conservative. Pretty "far right" conservative. Does that make me a hate filled racist by your definition of "far right"? "Far leftists" also are hate-filled, and yes, they can be racist conspircy theorists too. Heard of Russian collusion? How did that one age?

The questions I asked above are rhetorical. Do not answer them. I expect the discussion and any political context that has been inserted into it to end.

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Groggy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2023, 10:25:00 AMThis is exactly why we can't have these conversations and post things like this video that arguably bear a universally acceptable message. What the hell does "far right" mean? How is that defined? I'm a conservative. Pretty "far right" conservative. Does that make me a hate filled racist by your definition of "far right"? "Far leftists" also are hate-filled, and yes, they can be racist conspircy theorists too. Heard of Russian collusion? How did that one age?

The questions I asked above are rhetorical. Do not answer them. I expect the discussion and any political context that has been inserted into it to end.

Thanks.

Clearly I've upset you and that was not my intention.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

W8taminute

The enemy thinks if he can wipe out G's chosen he can thwart G's plan.  G will protect and preserve His people and is already victorious, whether you believe it or not.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk