Talking about early access in general terms

Started by W8taminute, April 24, 2023, 03:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

So I've been thinking.  Is it really immoral to create a game that is in 'early access' just to see how much money you can make before running away to the bank? 

But what if the developer sincerely intended to complete a game for prime time but needed some initial cash to get things going.  Hence early access?  Is it ok then if after taking your money that he closes shop declaring this game in it's current state will never work so we're canceling the project. 

Before you vote consider that there are times when a developer honestly can't complete the project and abandons a game.  There are also times when a developer clearly knows the game is never really gonna happen but let's see how much money we can make before bailing out.

Are we, the consumer being ripped off or not?  Do you feel like you got taken advantage of or did you at least get your money's worth of gaming entertainment?

This is what this poll will try to answer. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

I answered the only way I possibly could considering the moniker Gus bestowed on me long ago.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Now, to be fair and give a real answer. 

I think each and every situation is starkly different.  I've played EA games that were as good or better than some full releases and have been in EA forever.  I've played one or two I felt ripped off on. 

It's really impossible to judge everything with a broad brush.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

This is a very complex issue that can't easily be boiled down to a simple poll. Most modern countries and in the United States, just about every state, has enacted consumer protection laws that prohibit deceptive acts and practices that are intended to protect consumers at large. At the Federal level in the US, the Federal Trade Commission is the body responsible for regulating business practices, with Section 5 of the FTC Act prohibiting "unfair and deceptive practices." To cover the nuance of these laws here would be difficult to do with justice. However, I think broadly speaking, the laws prohibit deception.

Therefore, I think by making it very clear to consumers that what they are buying is incomplete, in development and that no warranties are given that the product is ever going to be completed, or that all bugs will ever be fixed, the developer, publisher and/or retailer is adequately protected by making it clear that consumers are buying at their own risk...caveat emptor, as we say.

I think with full disclosure, it is hard not to place the weight of personal responsibility and due diligence on the consumer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Is there personal responsibility anywhere anymore?

'^You all made me type that!'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2023, 04:04:10 PMIs there personal responsibility anywhere anymore?

'^You all made me type that!'

I take full responsibility for being a game whore.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Ripping off society? No. But reneging on the offer you made to others, Yes. An outright lie? Probably not. But I personally would never take a second chance from anyone who did that to me again, even if they had made a very heartfelt apology and an airtight reason why. They would simply no longer be a reliable partner. And...that's why I don't do Early Access. Just a personal belief is all.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Redwolf

I buy reasonably carefully and so far the Early Access games have not been worse than the supposed releases.

I also don't have a game that was abandoned in EA mode, although I have some that stay in EA for an excessive amount of time.

ArizonaTank

I think early access is just a business model that is more in-line with recent software development trends.

Business software is rarely developed all in "one go" anymore. A usual rule of thumb is to release 80% of functionality first, then over a series of iterations, add more features. Many times the software is never actually "finished" and often includes functionality that was not even contemplated when the software was first envisioned. Sound familiar?

The flexibility and productivity allowed by current development tools and the software distribution network is what makes this possible.

I for one am happy to see the change, and I support the early access model, even though there is an occasional bad (or incompetent) actor. 

It was not that long ago (in 2010, before early access started to take off), that Stardock was nearly taken down by the botched release of "Elemental: War of Magic." The game was released in a playable, but buggy and incomplete state. The nasty viciousness of disappointed fans is kind of strange and even funny to remember in today's context when most games are released "early access," in a buggy and incomplete state. 

Interestingly, the first "early access" game I can remember was "Mount and Blade" that was released in iterations starting in 2004.

I think there are some great early access success stories that make the model worth-while IMHO.

Some of my favorites are:
"No Man's Sky"
"7 Days to Die"
"Dwarf Fortress"
"Grand Tactician: The Civil War"
"Mount and Blade: Bannerlord"
"Kerbal Space Program"
"Airships: Conquer the Skies"

For grins, here is the 2005 Taleworlds webpage for the pre-release version of "Mount and Blade", couteousy of Archive.org's Internet "Wayback Machine."

https://web.archive.org/web/20050829232416/http://www.taleworlds.com/mb_buy.html
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

I nearly pulled the trigger on Baldur's Gate 3 early access some time back. I've seen complaints that the updates to the game have totally wiped-out the early access versions people have played and saved. That would make me want to stick a Broad Sword +3 up someone's ass if I wasn't warned about it first. Perhaps this is a rare occurrence, an accident, or maybe not even accurate, but it put me off from the EA of the game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

When EA first became a thing I took great offense at the games I bought in EA being ultimately canceled.  I felt ripped off.

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 25, 2023, 08:52:26 AMI think early access is just a business model that is more in-line with recent software development trends.

I for one am happy to see the change, and I support the early access model, even though there is an occasional bad (or incompetent) actor. 

But the points you bring up are all valid imho.  I also purchased GTCW when it was EA and although the ride was a bit bumpy this particular game actually turned out to be a success and is still supported by the devs to this day.

I've learned to understand what I'm getting into when purchasing an EA title and that is my I've seriously cut back on EA purchasing. 

I did do a purchase last night however.  Tactical Conflict Resistance.  This was a title that I consider worth taking the risk.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 25, 2023, 08:52:26 AMSome of my favorites are:
"No Man's Sky"
"7 Days to Die"
"Dwarf Fortress"
"Kerbal Space Program"

Add to this list Darkest Dungeon, probably one of the most successful indie early access games of all time.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on April 25, 2023, 01:04:42 PM
"No Man's Sky"
"7 Days to Die"
"Dwarf Fortress"
"Kerbal Space Program"

Add to this list Darkest Dungeon, probably one of the most successful indie early access games of all time.

I don't think No Man's Sky was released as an early access title. Its release certainly created an outcry for its several unfulfilled promises, and its update cycle since its initial release would certainly lend itself to an early access development cycle, but I don't think that is the way it was marketed and sold. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2023, 02:53:43 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on April 25, 2023, 01:04:42 PM
"No Man's Sky"
"7 Days to Die"
"Dwarf Fortress"
"Kerbal Space Program"

I don't think No Man's Sky was released as an early access title. Its release certainly created an outcry for its several unfulfilled promises, and its update cycle since its initial release would certainly lend itself to an early access development cycle, but I don't think that is the way it was marketed and sold. 

Yes, you are right. No Man's Sky was not early access.

In my defense however, I had it from day one, and it did "feel" like early access...:)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.