Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Yes, it has aged well.

The pricing model is very weird on Steam, though this seems to be a Steam function. It's impossible to play the DLC without the base game, of course, but there are two ways of buying the game, both of which require the base game to also be bought first.

1.) Buy the DLC separately for $15 on its own page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1257440/Field_of_Glory_Empires__Persia_550__330_BCE/

2.) Buy the DLC as part of a package to complete your game on the main page, for $12. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1011390/Field_of_Glory_Empires/

So you can pay $15 or $12, from Steam either way, at literally no difference.

??? :uglystupid2: :DD :bd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Geezer

I'll probably go with the base game when I start playing.  Never did install it through Steam, just straight from Matrix.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

JasonPratt

The base game has gotten a big update, too, btw. So the only reason to play the DLC would be out of curiosity for the time period, such as Rome when (per one theory applied in the game) it was a client state of the Etruscans.

Anyone who enjoys playing the Germanics/Celtics will find all those vast tracts of continental European land... arousing...  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

(In the base game timeframe, Europe gets crowded fast or starts that way depending on where you are, unless you're the Goths maybe. In the new DLC, Europe north of Italy has few factions with crazy amounts of room to expand, especially if like me you like to play the Rhaeti.)

CJReich46

I noticed that. There's a lot more room. I'm currently playing as Macedonia, and I did pretty well just having some serious cash-flow problems. But I think I'll play the tutorial just to learn what I need to learn, and then start over as the Macedons.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Sir Slash

Don't tell me I'm going to have to consider buying this game again.  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Geezer

I'm watching DasTactic's latest series now.  It has the new DLC but should still give me a pretty good idea of how the base plays.  Still trying to decide between this one, or AoW:Planetfall, or Stellaris, or TW:Warhammer II for something to get back into playing along with Aurora C# which I'll restart when 1.10 drops.  So many games, so little time....   :o
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Yskonyn

AOW Planetfall is a pretty sweet game too. Lots of content and replayability.
But that goes for all the games in your list.  :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Labbug

I broke down and bought both Field of Glory: Empires and AOW Planetfall.

Martok

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 21, 2020, 10:09:00 PM
Don't tell me I'm going to have to consider buying this game again.  ???
I'm surprised you hadn't already.  Now I'm disappointed in you. 

Seriously, though, I've watched a few LP's (including DasTactic's), and the Persia DLC is looking pretty sweet. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

-budd-

Quote from: Labbug on May 22, 2020, 04:37:54 PM
I broke down and bought both Field of Glory: Empires and AOW Planetfall.
How are you going to decide which rabbit hole to crawl down, coin flip :)
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 21, 2020, 04:08:37 PM
Yes, it has aged well.

The pricing model is very weird on Steam, though this seems to be a Steam function. It's impossible to play the DLC without the base game, of course, but there are two ways of buying the game, both of which require the base game to also be bought first.

1.) Buy the DLC separately for $15 on its own page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1257440/Field_of_Glory_Empires__Persia_550__330_BCE/

2.) Buy the DLC as part of a package to complete your game on the main page, for $12. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1011390/Field_of_Glory_Empires/

So you can pay $15 or $12, from Steam either way, at literally no difference.

??? :uglystupid2: :DD :bd:

I'm not getting the dlc discount on Steam.  I suspect the fact I bought the base game from Matrix directly then put it on Steam latter negates the discount on the dlc. 

JasonPratt

Okay, that makes sense! -- I can't recall if I originally bought on Steam or at Matrix, so that could explain the pricing oddity (i.e. a loyalty discount tracked by Steam).

Gusington

Just played for a couple of hours as Persia in the new campaign and it is great how the neighboring kingdoms are collapsing to my one mighty stack! Kingdom of Elan (SP?) was crushed and I just smacked around Media and am besieging their capital now. The King wants to take down Babylonia next. I took about 1000 pics for the quick write-up I am doing for The Magical Front Page and will have quick impressions to JH to post tomorrow.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd