Gears of War: Judgement

Started by W8taminute, March 12, 2013, 09:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Anyone else excited about this title due out next week?

Locust...Forever...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grimnirsson

Yep :)

However two things that I don't like. Horde mode gone, they should have added the shorter Survival Mode instead of replacing the former with the latter. And no Locust in MP? I don't get this...

Otherwise it seems to be a cool game, we'll see.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

Agreed.  One of my biggest loves of this series is Horde Mode.  We'll see how this Survival Mode stacks up.  I find that Horde Mode is very relaxing until you reach every tenth wave.  I suspect that Survival Mode will be a lot more frantic.  I hope not. 

No Locust in MP?  I think there is.  According to TrueAchievements.com

Multiplayer Modes:

•OverRun: OverRun marks the first time that class-based competitive multiplayer has been introduced into the "Gears of War" series. Think of it as a combination of the popular Beast and Horde modes pitted against each other. OverRun is a 5v5 attack/defend game type, where the COG are always defending, and the Locust are attacking... and you have an opportunity to play both as attacker and defender to determine the winning team.

•Team Deathmatch: In this returning fan-favourite, two teams of five players start with a shared pool of respawns. The goal is to take out your opponents and deplete their respawns before your own pool is gone. Perfect for "Gears" veterans and new recruits alike, Team Deathmatch has everyone battling to be the last squad standing.

•Free-For-All: Free-For-All is an "every player for themselves" Deathmatch mode. No teams mean shoot anything that moves. The perfect mode for relieving some stress.

•Domination: Domination is a 5v5 team based competitive multiplayer mode. Teams will compete over three rings placed throughout the map. Control the ring to earn points; the first team to 250 points wins the match.

That being said, here is some gameplay footage to consider:

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Grimnirsson

Locust are only in the campaign mode and of course in OverRun, but have been removed from the competitive versus modes. That means COG vs COG not only in the new FFA but also in all other Vs. game modes (TDM and Domination). Silly decision imho, blue on blue doesn't make sense in GoW...

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

Yeah blue on blue does not make sense in the GoW universe.  It looks like they are trying to style the team deathmatch into a COD/BF3 style game.  If that is true I will be avoiding that because that type of game is not Gears of War.  So it looks like I will play OverRun and maybe Domination.  Of course I can't wait to see how the single player campaign is going to be.

Hiimori

Pre-ordered the game today.

We played (and still play) Horde like crazy, so I really hope that the new modes will offer something similar. I'm somewhat skeptical about the long-term motivation of the new Survival Mode. It may be harder to survive the lesser number of waves, but trying to beat the 50 rounds in Horde was priceless. I also loved Beast in GoW3, but I always felt that the 12 rounds were too short.

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grimnirsson

GoW for us (Hiimori and me) is mainly the fantastic campaign coop and Horde...death to the Locust!  'Come on, BRING IT!' ;)

What's your gamertag W8taminute? :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

W8taminute1941 is my gamertag.

I love Beast and Horde mode as well.  I think Horde mode in GoW2 is slightly more easier than Horde in GoW3.  I like them both though and always have a blast.  Believe it or not I still have yet to finish all 50 waves of Horde in GoW3 but I have finished Beast.

I'm definitely up for some game time if you guys want to.  I've got all of the Gears games and I too have pre-ordered Judgement.  Can't wait!  Oh and uh, 'Finders keepers, losers...dead.'   ;)

EDIT:  I like campaign coop as well!

Grimnirsson

Great! We were in a great Horde game recently and made it with a good troop of 5 guys to wave 50...and failed...and then the connection was lost :(

We will play Judgment for sure but we will continue to play GoW1, GoW2, GoW3 as well...Horde, Beast and Campaign and Raam, normal campaign and arcade and all...we are not always playing with mics though. But anyways...you love W40k...GoW...wargames...we are natural friends ;) although....Kinectimals...that can't be true...certainly an error on XBL side...no...can't be true... :P

XBL friend request sent!

Cool, looking forward to GAMING :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

Friend request accepted!

Look forward to fighting off the Horde with you guys or whatever else needs to be destroyed.   8)  Yes we have a lot in common and this is good.   :)  I'm not always on mics either but I can be if requested. 

And about that Kinectimals...you see...my daughter accidentally used my account to play that game.  Yeah, that's what happened.  She forced me now to play Kinectimals in order to restore my achievement completeness rating as well as add to my existing Gamer Score.   :-[  ;D

Grimnirsson

QuoteFriend request accepted!

Thank you sir! I don't know if Hiimori sent you one too - if so - please accept :P if not ...please send one ;)

QuoteLook forward to fighting off the Horde with you guys or whatever else needs to be destroyed.

That's the spirit!

QuoteYes we have a lot in common and this is good.

Sometimes...I love the internet...to meet nice folks I would have never met otherwise... :)

QuoteAnd about that Kinectimals...you see...my daughter accidentally used my account to play that game.  Yeah, that's what happened.  She forced me now to play Kinectimals in order to restore my achievement completeness rating as well as add to my existing Gamer Score.

hm...hm...sure...the daughter forced you...hm...you thought it looked cool on the MS event....right? And you bought it...played it...and enjoyed it...correct? And all this W40k and GoW stuff is just a LIE!!!!

;)

If it is fun, play it...Life is a game to be played...no? :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

Quote from: GrimnirssonThank you sir! I don't know if Hiimori sent you one too - if so - please accept  if not ...please send one

I will send Hiimori an invite when I return home.  I'm getting ready to leave work now.   :)

Quote from: GrimnirssonSometimes...I love the internet...to meet nice folks I would have never met otherwise...

I agree!

Quote from: Grimnirssonhm...hm...sure...the daughter forced you...hm...you thought it looked cool on the MS event....right? And you bought it...played it...and enjoyed it...correct? And all this W40k and GoW stuff is just a LIE!!!!

If it is fun, play it...Life is a game to be played...no?

Not only are you perceptive, but you have a good sense of humor too.  :)  Life is indeed a game to be played.  Even if it means playing kids games.  But I use W40k and GoW to cover up my secrets.   ;D

W8taminute

^Great read.  Judgement certainly is raising a lot of controversy among the veterans of the franchise.  I'm still excited about the game and will not cancel my pre-order.  Yes it seems that multiplayer will be a different experience but let's just see how it turns out.  If they have morphed GoW into a frantic heart attack inducing COD clone I will be very disappointed.  If on the other hand they manage to take the best of the multiplayer experiences of GoW3 and build upon it I will be happy. 

As for the campaign I'm not so sure I'm understanding or liking the Declassified Testimony aspect to the story.  Gears has always been linear in it's story telling and it has always been entertaining.  Look at the Mass Effect series.  They have a non linear player influenced aspect to the story but they had it since day one and it works very well.  I'm not sure how they are going to pull off this kind of gameplay in a Gears game though.  We'll see. 

Grimnirsson

The declassified missions could add replay value to the campaign. As well as the new spawn system, so every time one goes through the campaign it will feel fresh because the enemies are not scripted the way they were in the previous games. And when one needs a bit more challenge in the campaign one can spice it up by activating one of the declassified missions. The gameplay videos I watched show that the game speed is a tick higher but it's still Gears and certainly not CoD. As you said, we'll see - our preorder stands, too :)

www.homefrontcenter.de