Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on March 30, 2018, 11:46:26 AM
Quote"IJN CV Akagi undergoing trials off Iyonada, 17 June 1927. Early in her career, she was fitted with three flight decks; the two lower decks were later plated over in a mid-1930s refit. "

its a theme with them...

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Looks like a flying freeway overpass.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

QuoteJapanese aircraft carrier Akagi and battleship Nagato at Yokosuka Naval Arsenal, Japan, 15 Aug 1927.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteVanguard class submarine returns from patrol to HM Naval Base Clyde. March 2018

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteHMS Warspite fresh from her 1937 refit

mirth

QuoteGerman heavy cruiser Deutschland, lead ship of her class, during the Spanish Civil War.

mirth

USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000)

mirth

QuoteA view of the stern of Bismarck as she was en route to Brunsbüttel on 15 September 1940.

mirth

QuoteUSS Lancaster (right) was a USN screw sloop-of-war during the American Civil War through the Spanish–American War. Seen here at Villefranche, France in 1889 with ADMIRAL DUPERRE (French), COLBERT (French), CRIDENT (Russian cruiser), ADMIRAL BAUDIN (French), and FAUCON (French).

trailrunner

Quote from: mirth on April 04, 2018, 07:30:50 PM
USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000)

I am spending a day on this ship next week. 

besilarius

The aircraft hangar of the Brooklyn class light cruiser USS Honolulu (CL-48).

After being lowered through a hatch on the stern, aircraft rolled on rails to their section of the hangar. The Brooklyn class cruisers could operate up to four aircraft.

Both sides of the hangar feature fold down racks. A good thing for the sailors who like to fall asleep to the smell of Avgas.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Airborne Rifles

The hangar deck on the Kirov-class battlecruisers looks like it follows a similar concept:

Staggerwing

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on April 05, 2018, 10:31:53 AM
The hangar deck on the Kirov-class battlecruisers looks like it follows a similar concept:

AR, have you heard of this series?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirov_(novel_series)

I have not yet read any but am very tempted.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Airborne Rifles

^ I've looked at them but never picked them up. I'm definitely intrigued by a series of novels where the Russians look to be the protagonists.

BanzaiCat

Kirov has intrigued me too but the price point needs to go down on the first one - I know it's only 5 bucks for a Kindle version, which isn't bad, but a lot of authors have their first book in a series at a very low price, say 0.99 or 1.99. It looks very similar to Destroyermen or Axis of Time but I think it's still very intriguing too.