Chinese Chest Thumping Block Bluster - Battle at Lake Changjin (Chosin)

Started by ArizonaTank, October 22, 2021, 01:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Getting that familiar Cold War feel...  Chinese blockbuster....The Battle at Lake Changjin

This is a Chinese telling of the US disaster at Chosin Reservoir. I have not seen it of course, so all I know is what I read. But sounds like the new Cold War is spinning up in earnest on the culture war front. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chinese-movie-about-us-military-defeat-set-to-break-box-office-records/ar-AAPHCtS?ocid=msedgntp
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Dammit Carl!

al_infierno

Does this mean we can finally stop panderin' in Mandarin with our own movie industry?   :-"
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Quote from: al_infierno on October 22, 2021, 01:55:24 PM
Does this mean we can finally stop panderin' in Mandarin with our own movie industry?   :-"

:), I don't think "we" have our own movie industry anymore. It went global 20 years ago. So pretty much every movie made is for the "global" audience...and Hollywood studios are not interested in upsetting any rich movie market. Chinese movie theaters can put alot of "bums in seats" these days; not to mention "eyeballs on screens" with streaming.

Short of a cold war going hot, I don't see Hollywood taking sides in any culture war as long as Chinese money flows freely.

Its a triumph of pure capitalism...;)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Con

This used to bother me about war movies and then I realized that for each good war movie there are a lot of terrible chest thumpy ones that the US and the UK produced during and after the war.  So let the Chinese have their time making these schlocky movies, the Russians did it as well.  Now I just lean into the propaganda and enjoy the movie (if it is enjoyable).
For every Tora Tora Tora there is a Pearl Harbor
For every Longest Day there is All This and World War II (believe it or not a musical newsreel of WWII) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_This_and_World_War_II

The list goes on

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Con on October 22, 2021, 04:02:37 PM
So let the Chinese have their time making these schlocky movies, the Russians did it as well.  Now I just lean into the propaganda and enjoy the movie (if it is enjoyable).

Yup.  It gets kinda fun to see the common tropes of war movies, but from a different national perspective.

Karri

I expect a lot of nonsense, but no more than from Hollywood movies. I recently watched the 800 and the Chinese seem to be all about senseless sacrifice. Droves of people suiciding themselves for no obvious gain. In American movies it's usually one guy staying behind to hold the barbarian masses at bay, killing hundreds before finally dying in a blaze of glory.

al_infierno

Quote from: Karri on October 23, 2021, 09:08:48 AM
the Chinese seem to be all about senseless sacrifice. Droves of people suiciding themselves for no obvious gain.

So, it was accurate to real life?   :-"
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Karri

I recall reading that those were ex-Kuomintang soldiers for a big part...makes sense to sacrifice them and drive the UN troops back at the same time.

Destraex

Is there a US film or doco about the same battle to counter this? I don't mind propaganda movies as long as their is good kit in it.
I like this guys channel actually. He should have some fun things to say about the movie.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Destraex on January 03, 2022, 10:32:54 PM
Is there a US film or doco about the same battle to counter this? I don't mind propaganda movies as long as their is good kit in it.
I like this guys channel actually. He should have some fun things to say about the movie.

Best documentary I know of is an "American Experience" documentary called "The Battle of Chosin" that is really only available through PBS. I think Amazon Prime has a PBS channel where you can get it...but sadly not free.

You tube does have the first 10 min or so to give you a flavor of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYfWhb_YNEA

and another clip where some of the American soldiers describe being on the receiving end of a human wave charge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGcR8b65Uwg
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Destraex

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 04, 2022, 07:29:10 PM
Quote from: Destraex on January 03, 2022, 10:32:54 PM

Best documentary I know of is an "American Experience" documentary called "The Battle of Chosin" that is really only available through PBS. I think Amazon Prime has a PBS channel where you can get it...but sadly not free.

You tube does have the first 10 min or so to give you a flavor of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYfWhb_YNEA

and another clip where some of the American soldiers describe being on the receiving end of a human wave charge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGcR8b65Uwg

Looks interesting.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"