May I pass on this Point Non VRers wont know

Started by MiniHexer, August 22, 2021, 03:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 23, 2021, 06:26:54 AM
From what I have read the 'link cable' is just a bespoke USB-c cable, not sure how the whole 'fiber optic' moniker applies. Some online claim that a good quality long generic USB-c cable from Monoprice or Ankor works just as well.

This is true. You don't need to spend $60+ on the oculus version. In addition, if you really want to connect to a pc, you don't even need the link wire anymore. You can do it wirelessly through the air link feature.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

So now it'll just be a waiting game for stock to build up. The current world chip shortage can't be helping either.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

ArizonaTank

From what I have read the 'link cable' is just a bespoke USB-c cable, not sure how the whole 'fiber optic' moniker applies. Some online claim that a good quality long generic USB-c cable from Monoprice or Ankor works just as well.

I have both the Quest bespoke cable and an after market one. I can't rightly say there is a difference in performance. The bespoke cable is much more expensive and comes in a pretty box however...:)

BTW, you will need the cable if you want to run Rift games. I believe all / most of the games on Steam are Rift games.

I found this part of the Quest 2 marketing to be a bit of bait and switch frankly.

The advertising talks about a cable free experience...and that does work for the Quest content.

But then when you want to play a Rift game (like something you see on Steam), you need to tether yourself to your desktop with the USB-c cable. So you will also need a more recent PC with a high speed USB port.

Also, although I haven't checked recently, the  content available for Quest was good, but not as rich as what is available for the Rift. I expect this will get better over time.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2021, 06:44:32 AM

This is true. You don't need to spend $60+ on the oculus version. In addition, if you really want to connect to a pc, you don't even need the link wire anymore. You can do it wirelessly through the air link feature.

I was not aware they had done air link.  I will check it out.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

MiniHexer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qk7g54cmI

wait till 28th OCt  , check the youtube link here. facebook connect is on the 28th oct and may be news about quest pro or something

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 23, 2021, 07:09:40 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2021, 06:44:32 AM

I was not aware they had done air link.  I will check it out.

Yeah...to connect wireless, you used to have to buy a third-party app called Virtual Desktop. I guess Facebook got sick of people using a paid third-party application, so they released an update a few months ago that added the air link option. Depending on your router, you will likely still get better performance with the direct wired link, but performance is still good with most games and applications. 

FWIW, I think Oculus and Facebook are taking VR in the wrong direction. They are moving away from AAA type games and moving to what I would describe as a more social, casual, online, multi-player type experience. Because they have a huge market share and the Quest headset is so easy to use and affordable, the model must be proving successful. But the real power of VR is with the desktop and hardcore gamers so I hope companies like HP, HTC, Pimax, etc. will continue to evolve the technology for high end applications.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2021, 09:26:31 AM
FWIW, I think Oculus and Facebook are taking VR in the wrong direction...

I agree. I saw on the video link above that Zuck got on CBS with Gayle King and did a virtual interview, pushing "Horizon Workrooms" a VR app that allows businesses to set up virtual space meetings. Think VR Zoom. 

In my mind, I think the vision is right, but the technology is just not there yet. It took a pandemic to get some of my less technically inclined co-workers to use a camera...I can't see them enthusiastically putting on a VR headset for hours at time while working. Maybe when headsets are more like glasses in terms of weight and ease of use (ie. not heavy and quickly set up, like putting on or taking off a pair of glasses), the VR workspace will take off.

Instead of "Workrooms," I think that Oculus should be focusing on gaming, entertainment and 3D graphical solutions for industry. Those will fund the continued improvement of the technology. Then someday, it will be ready for VR workspaces. 

Also, the VR industry really needs to work at developing platform standards... I don't know which of the various platforms will turn out to be the "Betamax" (given that about 60% of the VR headsets on Steam are Oculus...it isn't Oculus), but whomever it is...they need to cave in and rally around one, at most two standard platforms. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Jarhead0331

The technology still needs to improve, no question, but I think that could be said about all high-end PC hardware. I am constantly tweaking and fiddling with my game rigs to get one thing or another working the way I think it should, or to maximize performance. I think the apex predators in gaming deal with these frustrations and limitations, are prepared for them and are able to solve many of the problems they experience. So, the state of the technology does not hold these people back, but will really only have an impact on the more casual users, of which there are certainly many and I understand companies like Oculus/Facebook want to tap into that.

I will say though that some of my own experience is indicative of your point that VR still has a way to go...My VR rig set-up for simming is very cumbersome. I've got all kinds of peripheral devices poking about. They are mounted to chairs, desks, stands, etc. They are by my feet, at my sides, to the front, etc.  I climb into a chair modeled on the F-16c ACES II ejection seat. By the time I get situated, I'm often times out of breath. lol.  I can't tell you how frustrating it can be to go through all that only to put the headset on and have there be some issue with tracking, connection, resolution or performance. It happens not frequently, but often enough to make me think twice about whether I want to go through the effort in order to play.

FWIW, you mentioned the base stations in your initial post and being frustrated by them. For your next headset, maybe look into a set that uses inside-out tracking and does not utilize the external base stations. The Reverb G2 is a great option there.  I've also enjoyed the Rift-S, but as you may know, they aren't being supported anymore by Oculus. Another sign that they are going in the wrong direction.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MiniHexer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2021, 01:33:24 PM
  I've also enjoyed the Rift-S, but as you may know, they aren't being supported anymore by Oculus.

JH , am I understanding this right oculus has dumped the rift?

MiniHexer

edit

Jarhead0331

All headsets are cross-compatible now. They will all pretty much run through steam VR or the oculus app. Some require windows mixed reality to be installed or their own software, like the Pitool for Pimax, but they all run games from steam/oculus dashboard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MiniHexer

thx JH, I may saveup for a vive or something,

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MiniHexer on August 24, 2021, 07:08:33 AM
thx JH, I may saveup for a vive or something,

Depends on what you are looking for. What maters most to you? Room scale experience with solid tracking and good VR controls? High resolution and clarity? Wide FOV? There is really no one headset that does it all, rather they all tend to excel at one or two things over others.

I have the HTC Vive, Rift-S, Quest 2, HP Reverb G1, HP Reverb G2 and a Pimax 8KX, so I've experienced pretty much the full spectrum.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog