The Designer Of The F-15 Explains Just How Stupid The F-35 Is

Started by Barthheart, June 17, 2014, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

mirth

Don't mince words, Pierre. Tell us what you really think!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

ooo man i read some unpleasant stuff about him elsewhere today

eyebiter

undercovergeek

Quote from: eyebiter on June 17, 2014, 01:39:15 PM
Long wave radar detects F-117, B-2, and F-22?

this -

Pierre Sprey again. Here's a few facts about him:

He didn't design the F-16 nor the A-10. He has consistently exaggerated his role in the field of aircraft design, he is a statistician not an engineer.

He hated the F-15, the claims he now makes about the F-35 were first made about the Eagle. It was too expensive, too big, to complicated etc. It has a 100-0 kill ratio, proving how wrong he was.

He did not want the F-16 to have a radar. He wanted it armed with only a cannon and short range IR missiles. The modern F-16 is the antithesis of what he wanted and it is a highly successful aircraft in spite of Sprey not because of Sprey.

His ideas on the capabilities of medium and long range radar guided missiles are at least 30 years out of date. He seems to think we're still using Vietnam era AIM-7's.

I believe he is a dangerous man. He keeps spouting his outdated disinformation and people keep buying it. It is worthy to note that he is now in the music recording business because his opinion on aircraft design is not considered worthwhile by anyone who knows anything about modern combat aircraft.

Oh, one more. Back before the USAF determined the cause of the issue with the F-22's pilot oxygen system Sprey said that it was because of adhesive fumes coming from the fuselage heating up at or above Mach 1.6. He's been wrong about everything he's claimed in the last 30 years.

Barthheart

Keunert

wow we should have bought the Gripen. it costs a lot less and is actually far superior than your plane. damn
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

undercovergeek

Quote from: Barthheart on June 17, 2014, 01:45:28 PM
Thanks ucg.... didn't know all that...

its cool, neither did I

im sure Toonces or other afficianados no much more, but i dont think this guy is getting any love today

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

undercovergeek

im honestly way out of my depth here, i just read the news about this guy and read the reactions towards his comments, then noticed Barthhearts post

Windigo

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 17, 2014, 02:02:42 PM
im honestly way out of my depth here, ...

that never stops guys like star and myself from an opinion.... although as far as knowing about stuff that goes boom... Star rules

My secret nick for him is GDS "Jane" Starfury
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Jack Nastyface

Interesting interview.  Admittedly, I do agree with his assessment of the F-35 in close support role.  While I admit that I could be completely wrong about this, it just seems to be that CAS purpose aircraft like the A-10 or Frogfoot or even the S. American Pucara would be superior in this role than the F-35.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Mr. Bigglesworth

His other rant. It makes sense to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQB4W8C0rZI

He actually lies on the missile comment. You can read his face. He is not dangerous he is trying to protect the buying countries.

The one plane fits all air force missions jet was always a stupid idea.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

"He did not want the F-16 to have a radar. He wanted it armed with only a cannon and short range IR missiles. The modern F-16 is the antithesis of what he wanted and it is a highly successful aircraft in spite of Sprey not because of Sprey"

You have to be careful here, the f16 itself is a multi-role fighter. What has it really been used for? #1 probably non-wartime patrol. In the gulf wars Air to Air missions were given to the eagles. Strikes were given to the tornadoes. CAS to the A10s. F16s probably (guessing) got defensive patrols. I love the f16, I spent many hrs in falcon 3,4. Can it do those roles? Yes. Can it do them as well as the other planes? You need an AF pilot to answer. He might say no, then per $ spent, the f16 may be as effective in those roles.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

nothing does CAS like an A-10.
the problem is that a F-35, F-16, F-18 and F-15 can all do Afghan style CAS and thats now a decades + worth of institutional knowledge.  nothing can tear up Russian or Chinese armor like an A-10.  that ain't who were fighting now.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.