New high tech Navy warship

Started by TheCommandTent, April 13, 2012, 07:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Interesting article about a new high tech Navy ship in development.  It seems with all the tech it will require a smaller crew.

http://news.yahoo.com/cutting-edge-navy-warship-being-built-maine-063753789.html

Kind of an ugly looking ship.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

Bath Iron Works is building 2 of the 3 planned. Hopefully I'll get to see one when it's being launched.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

"...the ship could one day be equipped with an electromagnetic railgun..."

That and the mention of other guns gives it a retro-modern feel to me. I understand that guided missiles like Tomahawks are pricey and these guns are meant to reduce costs.

Still...some of the tech seems kind of old-fashioned!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 13, 2012, 07:28:51 AM
Interesting article about a new high tech Navy ship in development.  It seems with all the tech it will require a smaller crew.

http://news.yahoo.com/cutting-edge-navy-warship-being-built-maine-063753789.html

Kind of an ugly looking ship.

Looks like is should be able to dive.  I know that it won't but it sure looks like it *should* be able to!
Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

It'll be all fine and dandy until some raghead in a $200.00 aluminum suicide boat with a 30 hp motor rams it ! Hopefully, they planned for that kind of contingency !

Centurion40

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 13, 2012, 12:48:41 PM
It'll be all fine and dandy until some raghead in a $200.00 aluminum suicide boat with a 30 hp motor rams it ! Hopefully, they planned for that kind of contingency !

LOL.

See, if it could dive....

LongBlade

I think you're on to something. Being able to submerge and then resurface gives a whole new meaning to stealth. Can you imagine that thing surfacing off your port bow bristling with weapons? It would be like a fething U-Boot back in WWII with that cannon sitting on the deck just waiting for you to make a wrong move.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Yeah man.  Now I'm not talking deep or extended dives, maybe 20-50 ft for an hour.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on April 13, 2012, 02:28:34 PM
Yeah man.  Now I'm not talking deep or extended dives, maybe 20-50 ft for an hour.

Given the fact that right now most of our time is spent running down two bit thugs hopped up on Khat, I don't think an especially well-silenced sub is necessary. We might want to stay under longer than an hour, but figure one of those popping up next to the mothership in the Indian Ocean and announcing it's sink-or-swim time.

besilarius

As Longblade noted, one of the selling points is that all the new technology will make for a smaller crew.  My own experiences with this idea does not make me comfortable.
During the Arab-Israeli War in November, 1973, was on one of the destroyers in the screen around the carrier Independence.  There were three carrier battlegroups south and southeast of Crete.  Because we were there, the Soviets were in the middle with a task group as well.
I was getting ready for watch and sitting at the centerline radar repeater in CIC.  There were all kinds of radio transmissions and the speaker was set to Fleet Common.
The DDG Luce was stationed about 300 nm east.  That station was guiding in C5 air transports, which could load two M60 tanks, into Tel Aviv airport.
Now six years before, the USS Liberty was ravaged by Israeli planes, and there had been run ins with Libyan aircraft to the east a few months before.  Everyone was working as usual, but it really wasn't.
On the Air Warface Control frequency, all the ships were reporting on air contacts to the Force AAW controller on the Indy.  This net was on a speaker also.
As planes flew around, if they seemed like they would come close to the task force, or the Luce, the AAWC would tell different ships to "cover track xxx with birds", meaning missiles, or with guns.  All routine.
The Luce reported an air contact coming out of Israel, and not squawking IFF.  This was kind of unusual in a hot war zone, but nothing to really worry about.
Then Luce noted it had crossed over water "feet wet", and had steady bearing, decreasing range.  It was going to pass awfully close to Luce.
At this point, the AAWC came up and said, "Luce, take track 139 with birds."  Shoot it down with missiles.
And without requesting any confirmation Luce said, "Roger, out."
Well, I just about snapped my spine I sat up so fast. I looked to the CIC officer on my right and he was looking at me.  Both of us said, "Oh, shit!"
We looked over to port where the Chief was and he was staring at us and nodded, "Oh, Shit!"
I started carefully tracking all the radar contacts on the radar repeater (Manley did not have NTDS.  We used the old grease pencil/bogey tote board like in WWII), the Chief grabbed the log that a radarman was keeping of the radio net to be sure we'd heard right, and MIke, the CICO got on the intercom to tell the bridge that Luce had been ordered to shoot a plane down.
The captain just about broke down the hatch, charging into CIC, and then called the ship to General Quarters.
{Later I was told that two leading ETs were in the mess line, one turned to the other and asked, "Did they say this is a drill?  Oh, Shit!  they didn't!)
At about this point, the AAWC came back on the air, "Luce, this is Gunsmith, amend my last, cover track 139.  Do you copy?"
No response.
Then he asked if anyone had coms with LUce, and no one did.
Now, the first thing that the gunner mates do at GQ is warm up the gunmounts and missile launchers.  All the ships starting exercsing the mounts, and putting missiles on the rails.  It's very obvious when a force goes to Battle Stations.
The Soviets had a tattle tale trailing Independence.  A Sam Kotlin, DDG 169, was in the middle of the formation, taking this all in.  He didn't seem too concerned until Independence banged off the ready CAP and sent them east.  At this point, he got onto at least eight frequencies and started telling the world about all this.
Miles away, the Soviet task force went to GQ.  Our tattletale reported this, so the other two carrier groups went to GQ.  And everywhere people were muttering, "Oh, Shit!"  (Later we found that a regiment of Bear Deltas was on alert on the Crimea and preparing to launch.)
No one still had a clear idea of what was happening, but we knew that Luce was being approached by a plane out of Tel Aviv right before communications went down.
And then, a teenaged voice came up on the net, "Luce checking in."
Well, everyone tried to get communications up with Luce.  FAAWC promptly ordered Luce to COVER, not Take, track 139.
Pause, "Roger." from a very disappointed voice.  apparently they were feeling bloodthirsty in the eastern Med.
It turned out that the Luce was a test bed for a reduced manning effort.  They could not fire a missile from the watch section and had to go to General Quarters. 
Because of the reduced manning, no one was left on the radio nets, as everyone shuttled into their Battle Stations.
They missed the follow up messages.
So, I'm not a big fan of reduced manning experiements.  Too many things can go wrong, and not enough people to  catch things.
And the mysterious plane out of Tel Aviv that caused the ruckus?  It was a TWA 707, whose IFF gear was set incorrectly.
Oh, Shit.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Well, I'm sure that a lot of fishermen had to clean their nets after we changed our scivvy shorts.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Barthheart

Oh man........ that's way too close......   :-\

LongBlade

eyebiter