Replica WWI plane

Started by TheCommandTent, July 27, 2014, 12:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteA plane-mad pilot has taken his job to a whole new level – by building a replica of a First World War fighter plane and even installing a runway in his garden so he can fly it from home.

Mike Clark, a commercial airline pilot, spent £12,000 on constructing his very own Fokker Eindecker – a copy of the first German purpose-built fighter aircraft.

The 62-year-old from Horsham, West Sussex, said: "It's still flying, but it's very different from airline flying.

"It's the freedom – in some ways it's more challenging. In the airline world everything is done by numbers, it all comes out of a book, whereas it's much more experience and judgment when you're flying from a grass strip.

"The grass is a bit longer, it's wet, the wind is not quite right – it's all down to judgment. The Eindecker is very exposed.

"It's an open cockpit so it gets quite cold in the winter and you have to wrap up really warm, but I've flown it all through the year.

"It's not dangerous – if it was, I wouldn't be flying it."

As the video above shows, it took Clark 18 months to build the single-seater monoplane before its maiden flight in June 2012.

http://home.bt.com/news/oddnews/pilot-builds-ww1-plane-replica-video-11363922318000

Make sure and check out the video at the link.  Its very cool to see it flying especially as he takes off from his homemade airstrip in his back yard.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Al

Very cool.  I amazed at how small that plane is.
Al

bob48

Nice story, TCT. Thanks for posting that.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

That plane looks awesome! I see the replica does make at least one obvious concession to practicality and safety though- no Oberursel rotary engine!

Quote from: Al on July 27, 2014, 01:45:52 PM

It's probably a 3/4 kit. Here's a site that offers one:

http://www.grass-strip-aviation.com/prod_1.php
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Al

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 27, 2014, 02:42:41 PM
That plane looks awesome! I see the replica does make at least one obvious concession to practicality and safety though- no Oberursel rotary engine!

Quote from: Al on July 27, 2014, 01:45:52 PM

It's probably a 3/4 kit. Here's a site that offers one:

http://www.grass-strip-aviation.com/prod_1.php

That would make sense.
Al