Drone Sites in the US

Started by LongBlade, April 24, 2012, 09:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Someone filed a Freedom of Information request with the FAA seeking info on where drone sites were in the US. Interestingly, the request got approved.

QuoteThere are at least 63 active drone sites around the U.S, federal authorities have been forced to reveal following a landmark Freedom of Information lawsuit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2134376/Is-drone-neighbourhood-Rise-killer-spy-planes-exposed-FAA-forced-reveal-63-launch-sites-U-S.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

I'm kinda surprised there aren't more bases and operators at this point.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

"Drone" is pretty ambiguous.

It can encompass everything from using them to spot forest fires (a good idea) to spotting illegal immigrants (a good idea) to watching traffic (a good idea).

Clearly there is potential for abuse, but there's nothing in this article that specifically says privacy is being abused. Though we all *suspect* it probably is.

To me it was interesting that the FOIA request was granted. And we should be vigilant in protecting our rights. This might not mean too much now, but if we discover later that there have been abuses it might come in handy.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on April 24, 2012, 09:24:54 AM"Drone" is pretty ambiguous.

Anyone who has been to a bar after hours at a convention with LB knows that a "drone" is not just an unmanned aircraft...  ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MIGMaster

It would be neat to fly an R/C plane in formation with one ! :)

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 24, 2012, 09:57:18 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on April 24, 2012, 09:24:54 AM"Drone" is pretty ambiguous.

Anyone who has been to a bar after hours at a convention with LB knows that a "drone" is not just an unmanned aircraft...  ;D

You're just jealous all the waitresses give me their numbers instead of you.

<hottie bats her eyes>

"Oh, LB, tell us again about that time you saved the entire party from TPK with your Rod of Lordly Might...."

Centurion40

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 24, 2012, 10:34:52 AM
It would be neat to fly an R/C plane in formation with one ! :)

Imagine flying one for your job!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

MIGMaster

I could probably do it in my current one and no one would notice.

Centurion40

Would the plane stall every time that you were 'on break'??

Barthheart

Quote from: Centurion40 on April 24, 2012, 12:13:07 PM
Would the plane stall every time that you were 'on break'??

Wouldn't that lead him to just leave it on the ground then?  ;)

MIGMaster

Ok - I see how this is going to go. Before I lecture both of you on this issue, I need to take s short break.  ;)

Centurion40

Fire-up the RC helo while you're out.  :)