The Warthog LIVES!!!

Started by GDS_Starfury, January 18, 2015, 07:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/warthog-lives_823820.html?page=1

QuoteFortunately, Congress wasn't gulled, and the latest National Defense Authorization Act forbade the USAF from retiring the A-10. It helped that the politicians fighting for the A-10 included not just McCain but also Sen. Kelly Ayotte from New Hampshire, whose husband flew A-10s in Iraq, and Represent-ative Martha McSally, a retired Air Force colonel who herself flew A-10s in combat.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

now maybe they can figure out how to fix the F35 without paying a shit-ton more money :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

thats simple.  kill off the Marine version.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Cool, but does congress really know better than the Air Force. I find it interesting that it's the military that wants to cancel the program, and the politicians that want to protect it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2015, 09:04:10 PM
Cool, but does congress really know better than the Air Force. I find it interesting that it's the military that wants to cancel the program, and the politicians that want to protect it.

The Air Force wants to kill it...they're not really military when you get down to it  ;)

Gusington

Love that flying gun so very, very much. Ugly sexy!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

The Air Force may not need the A-10.

The Army does.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

in this case yes, the politicians know better.  the Air Force has never liked the A-10.

Gusington

Because it's a flying artillery piece, basically. Much better suited for the Army.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Cool, but does congress really know better than the Air Force.

The USAF brass doesn't care for much besides buying the shiniest, newest toys, the more the better. They'd have nothing but fighters if they could sell it to Congress. Gone are the days when USAF generals were all from bomber command. Now that's not considered "sexy" enough by the fighter jocks who run things.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 18, 2015, 07:33:18 PM
thats simple.  kill off the Marine version.

So kill off the one version that might be able to effectively take on the CAS mission. Yeah that outta work :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2015, 10:08:04 AM
Because it's a flying artillery piece, basically. Much better suited for the Army.

The obvious solution is to start letting the Army operate fixed-wing aircraft for CAS.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

republic

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 18, 2015, 09:36:34 PM
The Air Force may not need the A-10.

The Army does.

My thoughts exactly.  I wonder what the response would be to transfer the planes, and give the pilots, support personnel the option to move to the Army at the equivalent rank with some sort of 'transfer bonus'...