Pentagon to announce winner of the LRS-B contract today

Started by Airborne Rifles, October 27, 2015, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

It's not really a bomber. It's a "combat cloud".

QuoteRetired Air Force Lt. Gen. David Deptula told CNN this week that it is inaccurate to label the LRS-B as simply a "bomber" and that officials need to shed the "old think" way of categorizing airplanes into different mission areas.

The new "Long Range Sensor Shooter," as Deptula calls it, will have the ability to create a self-forming, self-healing "combat cloud" capable of sharing information with other aircraft and conducting a diverse array of operation types.

Sweet baby jeebus. Maybe we could get back to building fighters and bombers. You know planes that can fly and blow shit up.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Oh and to answer your question, I'll say the whole program goes to $100 billion and we'll be lucky to build 50 of them.

QuoteSince 2011, the Pentagon has said the LRS-B bomber will cost close to $550 million per airplane, projecting a $55 billion price total for 100 planes.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Well...at least this isn't Canadiastan. Were it so, we're talking $500 billion before five were delivered.  O:-)

mirth

It is impressive that the Canadians can have a weapons procurement system more effed than ours.

Airborne Rifles

And the award goes to...Northrop Grumman.

Quote from: mirth on October 27, 2015, 12:48:31 PM
Oh and to answer your question, I'll say the whole program goes to $100 billion and we'll be lucky to build 50 of them.

QuoteSince 2011, the Pentagon has said the LRS-B bomber will cost close to $550 million per airplane, projecting a $55 billion price total for 100 planes.

Sounds about right. It's a price+ contract, which means (from what I understand) that the government has already agreed to pick up any cost overruns.

mirth

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on October 27, 2015, 12:53:08 PM
It is impressive that the Canadians can have a weapons procurement system more effed than ours.

We're taking the hit to improve your national self-esteem.  Yeaaah, that's the ticket!
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on October 28, 2015, 12:41:05 PM

We're taking the hit to improve your national self-esteem.  Yeaaah, that's the ticket!

We're going to need you to step it up. Continental Air Defense is going to be tricky when all we have is 20-30 F-35s and 5-6 of the new bombers.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on October 28, 2015, 12:41:05 PM

We'll go with the Super Hornets and Quebec will get the maintenence contract.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.