Chinese stealth fighter update

Started by Shelldrake, May 20, 2012, 07:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

From what I've read about him, he was fine and dandy until he got involved with the Nazis. It all started to go downhill in the mid-1920s.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

In World War I, he was a good enough pilot to get into Richtofen's Flying Circus, and after the Red Baron's death, the command was given to him.
The knock on him, was that he was too aggressive.
Richtofen built up a formidable cadre of aces.  He husbanded them and kept the unit effective, even through the regular losses you would expect for the fire engine unit.  It was always sent to the danerous area, and had a lot of attrition.
Under Goering, the unit was fought too aggressively, and he burned it out.
You could argue that he never really changed his appreciation from that of a squadron leader.  Even as head of the Luftwaffe, whenever he got involved, it was usually a bad choice that he made.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

MIGMaster

Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2012, 12:25:38 PM
^That's correct, Goering was a lot of things. But cowardly? Well, not in his younger years.

Not in his younger years, but as the war progressed he became  a cowering brown-noser. I wish I could remember where I read that. It was a really humorous and well-written paragraph in a book about the Eastern Front

Keunert

so you lot come to the conclusion that one of the leading nazi massmurderers was on average a rather fine chap?

What about Himmler? was he mislead and lied to by Hitler and probably a little naive? but a heart of gold?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Staggerwing

If you guys are looking for a scrap of virtue you're discussing the wrong Goering:

Albert Goering (brother of Hermann)

More than just a scrap. There's been talk of adding his name to the Garden of the Righteous Among the Nations at the Yad Vashem Memorial.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on May 23, 2012, 04:05:08 AM
so you lot come to the conclusion that one of the leading nazi massmurderers was on average a rather fine chap?

What about Himmler? was he mislead and lied to by Hitler and probably a little naive? but a heart of gold?

No, that's not what we're saying at. Merely discussing whether everyone in the leadership was cowardly. Apparently there was an exception.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 23, 2012, 06:43:53 AM
If you guys are looking for a scrap of virtue you're discussing the wrong Goering:

More than just a scrap. There's been talk of adding his name to the Garden of the Righteous Among the Nations at the Yad Vashem Memorial.

Interesting! I didn't know about Albert so thanks for thlink Staggerwing.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Centurion40

Quote from: Shelldrake on May 23, 2012, 10:13:07 AM

His life could make for an interesting movie.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Shelldrake on May 23, 2012, 10:13:07 AM

I'll admit that I didn't even know of the man's existence prior to reading that. Really interesting.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 23, 2012, 10:13:35 PM
I'll admit that I didn't even know of the man's existence prior to reading that. Really interesting.

That's what's so sad about his story. Instead of embracing him and his actions postwar German society shunned him because of his name. He died almost unknown.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys