HMS Ocean Slated for Retirement

Started by mirth, April 19, 2017, 12:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Im more surprised they have an operational carrier.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

I'm more surprised you're posting during daylight hours.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Martok

Unfortunate news.  I mourn for the Royal Navy, and its ongoing decline. 

Quote from: mirth on April 19, 2017, 03:27:19 PM
I'm more surprised you're posting during daylight hours.
I admit to being mildly astonished as well.  :o 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Every time the Tories get in power, they cut the forces. Public sector pay and manpower is hammered under the Tories.

The next step will be to have a privately funded armed forces. I shit you not. They fucking HATE public expenditure.

Falklands Conflict - Thatchers government was in the process of running the armed forces down.

• Hermes was being scrapped
  • Invincible was being sold to the Aussies
  • Not to mention one of the catalysts - getting rid of Endeavour - a signal to the Argies that Britain couldn't be arsed with the South Atlantic
  • Vulcan being scrapped
When things "get old" it's fine to think "They have to go"...but you have to think about replacement...and they never want to because they do not like any public costs. I think they've got better things to do with the money - like line their own fucking pockets or by votes in the House of Commons with the DUP!!

I guarantee you we would not have these two carriers being built if Labour hadn't fucked up and made it so bloody expensive for them to be cancelled....and in fact probably done so knowing that the Tories were going to get into power before they were completed.

Makes me sick seeing that twat Fallon siting there taking credit for those carriers coming into service everytime he's asked about the forces being run down!!

Please - don't get me fucking started on those fuckwits.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

The worst part is the ships they're looking at cutting now aren't old at all. Ocean's been in service for about 20 years, the Albions were launched in 2001.

JudgeDredd

oh - I know - that makes it all the more infuriating
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

The most eye-opening conversation I had about UK politics was with my Scots co-worker discussing why Thatcher was a brutal mess of a leader. I'd always thought Thatcher was the UK's version of Reagan.

JudgeDredd

To some

She did take over Britain at a difficult time and she did kick start the economy in a way no Labour government could've at the time. But she did some pretty poor things too.

An example is selling off council housing stock. This left councils having to house people in the private sector. That is part of the reason why, today, we have a HUGE welfare bill - because councils are having to pay ever increasing rents. With the lowest unemployment for decades - we have a huge welfare bill. How does that make sense? We've got more people in work living in poverty than ever before.

They needed to build more council housing to ease pressure on the market but - more importantly - charge rents that are not just in it for making a killing. These people can't afford houses themselves. So if they can't get them, the council is footing this ever-increasing bill.

If you've got public sector needing to provide something and that something only coming from the private sector, then the public purse is going to be raided! That will always happen. Certain things need to be under public ownership. Housing for people who can't afford to buy or rent is one of them.
Alba gu' brath

trailrunner

Meanwhile, the Chinese are building their carrier fleet.  It's nothing especially noteworthy now, but China takes the long view.

mirth

The Brits will have their two carriers. Just without air wings or any other ships in the fleet :P