1911 Rules 2012

Started by LongBlade, July 28, 2012, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

The US Marines have placed a $22 million dollar order for new pistols - the venerable 1911.

QuoteColt Defense, based in Hartford, Conn., will supply as many as 12,000 of the 200,000 U.S. Marines with semi-automatic, tan-colored M45 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, and they will include spare parts and logistical support. The gun has long been the weapon of choice for special operations agents, thanks to its reliability and the stopping power of its massive bullets.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/28/marines-pay-22m-to-go-back-to-their-old-guns-colt-45-caliber-pistols
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I always felt they should have kept it instead of switching to Berettas.

Now if they would just bring back the jeep!  ;)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Greybriar

Nice try, Steelgrave. I appreciate your effort.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

LongBlade

Moved Steelie's to the TO&E forum and merged the topics.

Steelgrave

I should have known one of you guys caught this, ha! Good work  8)

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Greybriar on July 28, 2012, 11:37:36 PM

Now if they would just bring back the jeep!  ;)

And Bangalore Torpedoes!!!!!!!! Wooohooo!!!!!

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MikeGER

Quote from: Greybriar on July 28, 2012, 11:37:36 PM

I bet at that time it was a discion based on NATO logistic chain in mind. 
No need for an additional ammo type, the 9mm was commen for sub machine guns.
...and a larger magazine capacity and better penetration power then the .45 (hitting items, on a web-belt or in patch pocket of the enemy) was an argument too.

Today, where all kind of 'frag vests' are common, i would pick a PDW like the HK MP7 for my personal protection ...if i could pick from a Bond-like armory-room hidden in the house like in the movies ;)

Even so the 1911 is carrying in style  8)       

LongBlade

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on July 29, 2012, 05:13:38 PM
Apparently there is the possibility of hand-held rockets...

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/29/scalia-limitations-could-be-imposed-on-guns-in-the-future/

There's been at least one civilian available gun that fired small rockets in place of bullets: Gyrojet. Not much chance of them becoming a gang-banger favorite with the ammo at $100 a pop.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

$22,000,000 / 12,000 = $1,833.33.  I have no idea about the going price of these things.  All I know is that the original Colts were expensive as collector's items.  Is that an expensive pistol? 

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on July 29, 2012, 08:45:03 PM
$22,000,000 / 12,000 = $1,833.33.  I have no idea about the going price of these things.  All I know is that the original Colts were expensive as collector's items.  Is that an expensive pistol?

$1800 seems expensive. I would think you could get them for half that. Then again, it may include parts and stuff or be designed to a higher standard. Maybe someone who knows more about stuff like this can fill us in.

Staggerwing

Some of the articles mention the Colt 1911 being equipped with a Novak night-sight. That along with the tan finish (Cercoat?) might be what brings the price to 1800/unit.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

there are no gun forums were this isnt being hottly debated right now.
and yes, $1800 a pistol is a shit ton.  a really nice Kimber custom sells for around $1200 or so.
personally I think its great news.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.