USAF Recruiting Drone Pilots

Started by LongBlade, August 10, 2012, 08:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Initially there was a stigma against drone pilots, but gradually that is changing. And the Air Force needs more drone pilots.

QuoteAsked which is harder to do - manned or unmanned flight - he said that at times, he's been more overcome by the torrent of information pouring in during a drone flight than he was in the cockpit.

"In an F-16, to form a three dimensional picture, I look outside," said Ted, who flew F-16s for about four years before switching to armed Reapers, a drone that can carry Hellfire missiles and laser-guided bombs.

"In an aircraft, you can look outside, and you know how high you are from the ground. You know that the guys I am supporting are over there and the bad guys are over there," he said. "But here I have a picture, and it shows me turning left, but I don't feel myself turning. I don't feel the speed; I can't look quickly and see where everybody's at."

Instead, he said, "I have multiple computer screens showing two-dimensional information that I have to then mentally build that picture."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/09/2942203/air-force-works-to-fill-need-for.html#storylink=cpy
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on August 10, 2012, 08:08:52 AM
Initially there was a stigma against drone pilots, but gradually that is changing. And the Air Force needs more drone pilots.

QuoteAsked which is harder to do - manned or unmanned flight - he said that at times, he's been more overcome by the torrent of information pouring in during a drone flight than he was in the cockpit.

"In an F-16, to form a three dimensional picture, I look outside," said Ted, who flew F-16s for about four years before switching to armed Reapers, a drone that can carry Hellfire missiles and laser-guided bombs.

"In an aircraft, you can look outside, and you know how high you are from the ground. You know that the guys I am supporting are over there and the bad guys are over there," he said. "But here I have a picture, and it shows me turning left, but I don't feel myself turning. I don't feel the speed; I can't look quickly and see where everybody's at."

Instead, he said, "I have multiple computer screens showing two-dimensional information that I have to then mentally build that picture."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/09/2942203/air-force-works-to-fill-need-for.html#storylink=cpy

Wouldn't using IR Tracker help   ::)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.