Main Menu

Sleeping Dogs DLC

Started by Fighting Farmer, August 14, 2012, 06:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

DLC or not, I find that one would be hard-pressed to make the argument that the game was released without value or significant content. Most are agreeing that the single-player experience in Sleeping Dogs is at least one that will take you between 20 and 25 hours to complete.  that's far more than most games released these days.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

nevermind - I just remembered I owned Saints Row! Double standards! :p
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

I didn't really know much about this game but after watching the Giant Bomb quick look video, I think I might pick it up.  Looks like stupid fun.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sleeping-dogs/17-6456/

Arctic Blast

I picked it up and put a couple of hours in to it so far.

First off, it's actually a very visually appealing game. Very nice graphics, especially for an open world sandbox style game. The same sort of free flow, easy to control melee combat system as the recent Batman games, but with the addition of combos and grabs and throws and environmental attacks (I am using a control pad. I can't play 3rd person action games with mouse & keyboard). Driving is slick and arcadey. You can jump in and explore around the city almost from the start. You'll level up your Triads level and Cop level as you play towards one side or the other, with unlock options as you move along.

Seems quite good so far.

JudgeDredd

Thanks for the link to that video SDR - it actually looks like good fun.

I may well make a purchase when I get back from holiday...and it wasn't going to get a second look from me as of yesterday!
Alba gu' brath

Fetrik

It loks like a quality game that wouldn't disappoint any fan of the GTA / Saints Row genre.

I think i may grab it in a sale.

Arctic Blast

I've put many more hours in to it, and this is probably my current game of the year.

I've unlocked car racing, and good lord are they not easy to win! Especially when you buy higher end cars that open up the higher level circuits.

I've experienced gun play. Aiming and firing while driving a car works quite well with a controller. I like that rather than just trade shots with a guy, you can aim for vulnerable spots. Shoot him in the knee, then kick his head in when he drops. Or put one in his forearm and make him drop the gun. Blow out a couple of tires on a rival car driving at high speed and make it flip in to a wall. Aiming while on foot is a bit floaty, BUT they nailed the whole Hong Kong action movie style of multiple trick shots while jumping over something by allowing bullet time when you vault over cover. You can also do a vault disarm move.

Melee combat continues to be good and challenging. I've also learned a few nasty combo attacks by finding the stolen jade statues of a Kung Fu instructor, then trading those in to learn something new. Every time you do, you choose which path to 'learn' from, same as with your escalating Triad and Cop scores.

It looks great. The music is really good. And the story line is actually quite good...I don't know where this is going to end up, and I mean that in a good way.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Is this still getting played or has it become "samey"?
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried to play the demo but I couldn't get it to work.  I went through all the setup screens and mapped the keys how I wanted them, but the game wouldn't recognize my keystrokes.  It seems to think my HOTAS throttle is a console controller and will only accept commands from that device.  Trying to control the game character with a tiny hat switch just wasn't working for me.  I suppose I could just crawl under my desk and yank out the USBs for my joystick, pedals, throttle, and TrackIR but having to do that every time I want to swap between this game and a flight sim sounds like more tedium than I'm willing to put up with.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 30, 2012, 02:25:12 PM
Is this still getting played or has it become "samey"?

Well, I played it to completion and quite enjoyed the whole experience. All the little pieces of the game just fit together really well, and almost everything is very well done.

Jarhead0331

How long did it take you arctic? I've logged about 20 hours and have not finished yet, but I feel like I'm getting close.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 30, 2012, 10:14:26 PM
How long did it take you arctic? I've logged about 20 hours and have not finished yet, but I feel like I'm getting close.

According to Steam, I played for 17 hours. I skipped most of the race events, though...just never been something I'm all that interested in.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 30, 2012, 05:41:39 PM
I tried to play the demo but I couldn't get it to work.  I went through all the setup screens and mapped the keys how I wanted them, but the game wouldn't recognize my keystrokes.  It seems to think my HOTAS throttle is a console controller and will only accept commands from that device.  Trying to control the game character with a tiny hat switch just wasn't working for me.  I suppose I could just crawl under my desk and yank out the USBs for my joystick, pedals, throttle, and TrackIR but having to do that every time I want to swap between this game and a flight sim sounds like more tedium than I'm willing to put up with.

That's a common problem with FPS games - especially the last decade - and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's with console ports and laziness of porting.

The reason I say that is I'm pretty sure this never happened with PC based games like Operation Flashpoint (original one) or ARMA and ARMA II but has happened on games designed (I think) for console and PC like Batman:Arkham Asylum, Saints Row The Third. I first noticed the problem back when I got Conflict:Desert Storm.

It's easily rectifiable by unplugging peripherals...I bought a desktop USB hub for £8 to stop me having to climbing under the desk to disconnect my X52 Pro joystick and Formula Force wheel.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I'm going to leave this for the sale. It'll be on sale at some point and I was having a fair old time with Saints Row The Third last night...and I've got MASSES of that island to conquer - having only conquered a small portion of the first island!
Alba gu' brath